Fionna Guillaume's Reviews > Highland Pursuits

Highland Pursuits by Emmanuelle de Maupassant

For those who enjoyed Emmanuelle de Maupassant's contribution to the anthology Because Beards, you will remember the story of Ophelia - a daring London debutante - and her adventures in the highlands of Scotland. That short version left me wanting more, and I am gratified to say that Ms. de Maupassant has delivered the full story her readers were hoping for.

This Highland Pursuits is both more romantic and richer than its predecessor. The relationship between Ophelia and Hamish is described in slow, luscious detail, so we understand how her attraction to him grows, is battled, and finally overpowers, throughout her lengthy stay at the castle. Ophelia is more innocent, and uncertain, than she seemed before, which suits her character nicely. A virgin romance, in more ways than one. However, Hamish remains a man of mystery; we like him that way, although I was wishing to get a little more of his soul.

In contrast to enigmatic Hamish, the supporting characters emerge in a delightful hodgepodge of personalities, each more ridiculous than the last. As a comedy of manners, this is exceptionally well done. I greatly enjoyed the story from start to finish, and if you, like me, read the shorter version, there is plenty of fresh content to sate your appetite.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Highland Pursuits.

Started Reading