annapi's Reviews > The Nowhere Man

The Nowhere Man by Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, thriller

I loved book 1. This second volume was full of action and suspense - but.

Lots of buts for me in this one, and I can't even really pinpoint why it fell just a little short. Evan Smoak, the "Nowhere Man", helps people in need. He's a former assassin turned Lone Ranger, trying to make amends for being the cause of his mentor's death.

Other assassins from the same Orphan program that made Evan into a weapon are searching for him, wanting revenge for what they see as his betrayal. But it's another psychopath that captures Evan in the aftermath of one of his rescue missions, one who doesn't at first realize what kind of man he has bagged. Eventually he does, and the stakes go up.

Just about everything about this story was overkill. If you take it at face value and just sit back and enjoy the Michael Bay-like action (well ok, it's not as excessive as Michael Bay but close), then you'll enjoy this. I did, but I kept thinking, how is he going to top this one in the next book? There were also flaws in the other Orphans who are stalking Evan that just don't ring right if you accept the premise that they are all top of the line highly trained killers. And all of Evan's escape attempts were just a little too much, a little too contrived, and of course you know that no matter how beat up he gets he will survive, so that decreases the tension just a bit.

If you like a good solid action thriller where you don't think too much, this delivers. I just felt it was a teeny bit of a let down after the first book. I'll read the next to see where the author takes his character next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nowhere Man.

January 30, 2017 – Started Reading