Kathleen's Reviews > The Penderwicks at Point Mouette

The Penderwicks at Point Mouette by Jeanne Birdsall

Jul 26, 2011

bookshelves: hadley-recommendations, young-adult-books

Several days ago I discovered from my granddaughter, Hadley, that there was a third book in the Penderwicks series. Hadley generously loaned me this one (and the previous two, which she encouraged me to reread.)
This family simply jumps into your heart and easily finds a spot to nestle into. They bring with them all their worries and joys, their innocence and questions that come with age, new friends and old. Their openness is refreshing as is their loyalty to family, the understanding about responsibility, their struggle with change as they grow older. Life has not been kind to the Penderwicks, but they are incorrigible. This is a family that has dealt with the death of a beloved mother leaving four young daughters behind. Supported by the love and strength of the adults in their lives, the girls have found joy, love, great happiness and continue to find more adventure. Reading this novel or series will bring back to adults fond memories of favorite series they have read as children. More importantly, what a gift this series is to young readers, an honest perspective on death, divorce, understanding emerging feelings, relationships and family dynamics. Midway through the book, the third sister, Jane, shares a magic spell for her sisters and new friends…
“Fire, Moon, Sand and Sea,
Listen now and hear my plea.
Humbly do I ask of thee,
Please bring what I wish to me.”
The happiest of endings, magic spell or not emerged, reinforcing my belief in kindness, generosity, a gentle spirit (effectively placed behind a healthy level of fierceness within each of the sisters.)

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Penderwicks at Point Mouette.