Anna Bowling's Reviews > Duke of Pleasure

Duke of Pleasure by Elizabeth Hoyt

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read 3 times. Last read February 5, 2017.

Heroines in male guise is probably my favorite trope, and Alf is a standout character on her own, so I had high hopes for this eleventh installment in the Maiden Lane series. I was not disappointed, as this is classic Hoyt. In this book, we get into Alf's head, learn her backstory, and watch as she falls in love with the best-and-worst person for her, the Duke of Kyle. Royal bastard, widower, and father to two boys still grieving their mother's death, Hugh already has enough on his plate, without needing to bring down the infamous Lords of Chaos, and certainly without someone as far removed from his station in life as an urchin from the streets of St. Giles.

That, however, is exactly what makes Alf and Hugh as well suited for each other as they are. Each on outsider in their own way, but perfectly at home on their own turf, these two are lovers whose broken pieces fit together to make a whole. There's plenty of intrigue as the battle against the Lords continues, and quieter drama as Alf finds a family that could be hers, if she can summon the courage to claim it. Though this is a genre romance, with the HEA guaranteed, there are moments when the reader, as well as Alf, is convinced there's no way to make things work, which makes the HEA all the sweeter for it.

The other standout character for me in this book is Iris, Hugh's platonic friend and presumed fiancée (never fear, she sets him straight) whose delicate feminine appearance and noble bearing ot only serve as a foil to Alf, but cloak a strong spirit and sharp mind. I look forward to seeing her take center stage in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duke of Pleasure.

Finished Reading