Luffy's Reviews > The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Fellowship of the Ring begins with the Shire and winds its way through the barren lands that lie on the way to Mordor. I tried to read this part of the book once, but DNF it then. Then I picked up the trilogy bound in one volume and went through it fairly steadily.

I've read that Tolkien wasn't as original as first claimed. There is a book called The Broken Sword that has parallels with LotR. Nevertheless Tolkien take on traditional myths was unique and groundbreaking. The Eddas, the Welsh myths, and Norse myths all are the foundation for this great story.

This was a reread and was a satisfactory one because I wanted to reach my favorite parts. I looked forward to read Tom Bombadil's part again. Did it. Then the Rivendell parts, ditto. Slowly I wound my way, sometimes following Sam and Frodo, sometimes Aragorn. Gandalf appears relatively scantily towards the third book. I had a lot of fun reading LoTR, and I've not yet deleted it from my Ereader because I'm tempted to reread it soon. Five well deserved stars, indeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings.

February 5, 2017 – Started Reading
February 5, 2017 – Shelved
February 5, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* I have tried and tried to read this, but just couldn't get into it.....*sigh*. I am probably the only person in the world who hasn't read it.

Luffy There are degrees of success. I myself have not read most of the poetry in there, and this time I have not read the appendixes. So take heart, there are few people who have read it cover to cover.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Sandy, me too, I've tried and tried and I can't do it either. I own both extended versions of the movies and have watched them a million times, they are amongst my favorites, you would think the books would be a given, but no, I just can't seem to hook into. See, your not alone, we have each other!

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Lisa wrote: "Sandy, me too, I've tried and tried and I can't do it either. I own both extended versions of the movies and have watched them a million times, they are amongst my favorites, you would think the bo..."

can I admit to never having seen the movies either? *cringe*

Michael Perkins The books came out more than 50 years ago. The chapters are long and the style is old-fashioned. I read it in 1982 during long bus rides in Europe and I barely made it through. I would not even try to read it again. I think the films will be what keeps the saga alive.

Luffy Michael wrote: "The books came out more than 50 years ago. The chapters are long and the style is old-fashioned. I read it in 1982 during long bus rides in Europe and I barely made it through. I would not even try..."

I guess even fans of the books scratch their head at how popular LoTR is. THEY love it, but they don't know why others(the general public) do.

Mark André I've always particularly liked the Tom Bombadil's part too! - )

Luffy Mark wrote: "I've always particularly liked the Tom Bombadil's part too! - )"

message 9: by Rose (new)

Rose I couldn't get into book one. It was so descriptive that it actually bored me. I loved the movies though.

Luffy The movies have their own problem, namely the direction given to Frodo. It's okay not to like a book, of course. Have a nice day!

message 11: by Alexia (new)

Alexia Gandalf for the win!
As for the 1st book, I thought Borormir's part was quite interesting, though.

message 12: by Beth (last edited Oct 19, 2017 01:23PM) (new)

Beth This is one of my favorites. If you haven't read The Broken Sword, I recommend it, I read it a few years ago and was pretty impressed. (It's a retelling of the story of Kullervo from The Kalevala). The parallels with Tolkien's work are coincidental, since they were both drawing on some of the same sources.

message 13: by E (new) - rated it 3 stars

E I read them all in sixth grade, and the day I finished the Fellowship of the Ring, my older brother met Elijah Wood. In a random store in Portland, Oregon