Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink's Reviews > An Enchantment of Ravens

An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret  Rogerson

Margaret Rogerson was born to write.

This was my most anticipated novel of the year, and I nearly cried when it showed up on my doorstep. So first and foremost, thank you, Simon and Schuster, for sending me a gorgeous physical copy that I will take 10 billion photos of.

This is the type of story that leaves an impression on you. If you're a writer, have a notebook handy, because you're going to want to highlight or jot down literally HALF this book because the language and prose are that gorgeous. I'm not joking when I say this is absolutely hands down the most beautiful book I've read.

I don't say that lightly. I want SO BADLY to share so many quotes with you all in this review but since it was an ARC, I feel that I should wait a little longer. UGH.

That being said, If you have any love for original fairy folklore, this book is for you. It holds true to so much existing folklore, but at the same time, it is totally unique and a free breath of air. The plot is completely unpredictable, in my opinion, and while it was in majority a traveling book, the adventure aspect had me totally hooked. I also found myself laughing out loud at several bits - like okay.. the fairies have to be proper or they get all freaked out. You'll see what I mean. It's great.

Isobel is an artist. Let's pause there. Holy wow did Margaret research her art terms. That, or she must be one herself. She described (perfectly) everything from making paint/pigments from scratch to blending colors in ways that most writers would miss.

Alright, alright. Moving on... Isobel paints portraits for the fairy folk, because since they aren't able to do craft (i.e. cooking, painting, writing...) themselves, they are quite taken by it and collect any human craft work they can get their hands on. Isobel, being the clever girl she is, has found a way to trade her portraits for enchantments that make her farm life easier.

One particular fairy, who I won't spoil yet, tends to keep coming back to her for more and more portraits and in return, he helps her with such. (I ended up loving this character as much as I loved Rook because UGH so much sass, I love him. *whispers into the void...Can he please have his own book?* )

And then one day, said fairy is all like 'Oh by the by... the Autumn prince is gonna show up tomorrow and you're going to paint his picture OK BYE.'

So Isobel freaks out. I would too.

Anyway, said prince shows up in a SUPER COOL WAY that I will not spoil, and as you can tell from the synopsis, his name is Rook. And he's adorable. I literally cannot.

I don't want to say much more aside from what you can glean from the synopsis because let's face it, the book is too good to spoil, but in short - faeries don't have 'emotions' save for love really... and that's even rare. Isobel sees a sorrow in Rook though and dares to paint it on his face. When Rook receives the final painting, he's pissed, because sorrow makes him look weak. He drags Isobel from her home and whisks her off to fairyland to 'stand trial'.

But the journey is nothing like they imagine.

All in all, every minute of this is breathtaking, heart-wrenching, and you won't want to leave this world. My only complaint is I feel like there were too many loose ends (and the ending felt a little rushed) so as I read the last page, I was like... what? There has to be more, right?

So my hope is that Margaret plans to write us 9023032984234 more books. And at LEAST one more in this world following Rook and Isobel. That being said, she totally got me. While I did see the plot twist about *someone* coming, I did NOT see the ending coming. Holy crap. So like, I loved it, but I was also like... what? I NEED MORE....

Ps... I drew a hand-lettered quote that you can get via my Etsy, linked below!

My Blog ~ Instagram ~ Twitter ~ Etsy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Enchantment of Ravens.

February 5, 2017 – Shelved
July 7, 2017 – Started Reading
July 7, 2017 – 0.0% "THIS JUST SHOWED UP AT MY DOOR AND IM SCREAMING. *Puts entire life on hold to read this book...*"
July 7, 2017 –
page 23
7.67% "I already feel like this is going to be my new favorite book."
July 9, 2017 –
page 159
53.0% "You guys. This book is so beautiful it hurts. Someone remind me why I'm trying to write a book again?"
July 10, 2017 –
page 254
84.67% "OH MY GOOOOSH"
July 11, 2017 – Finished Reading

Shelly (vixenreads) i love this book so hard!

message 2: by Alanis. (new) - added it

Alanis. Want it bad!!! <3

message 3: by Anika (new) - added it

Anika I can't wait to read this book!!😍😍

Iryna (Book and Sword) This sounds very good!

Amber  ~ The Reading Addict I AM SO EXCITED TO READ THIS ONE

Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐ I am so excited for thisssss!!!!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Jackie I need this release date to come faster, I can't waitttt

message 9: by alyssa (new) - added it

alyssa amazing review, brittney 😀

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Shelly (vixenreads) wrote: "i love this book so hard!"

Me too!!!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Anika wrote: "I can't wait to read this book!!😍😍"

Its so worth it!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐ wrote: "I am so excited for thisssss!!!!"

Omg girl you're going to love it

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Solomon wrote: "Honestly, when writers get artistic words and routines down, im 100x more impressed. That makes a gigantic difference in the story"

I agree. Solly you're going to love it!

message 14: by D.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.J. I need this book in my life.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink D.J. wrote: "I need this book in my life."

YES YOU DO

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Amanda (TheBookcraft) wrote: "I think Rogerson must be an artist herself. Honestly research can only get you so far and I shared a few excerpts with my painter brother and he was impressed"

Seriously, she must be! I used to paint all the time and I didn't even know half of what she said. It was impressive!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Aley wrote: "Want it bad!!! <3"

Its worth the wait!

Shelly (vixenreads) Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things wrote: "Amanda (TheBookcraft) wrote: "I think Rogerson must be an artist herself. Honestly research can only get you so far and I shared a few excerpts with my painter brother and he was impressed"

Seriou..."

I exchanged a few comments with her on IG and she said her mom was an oil painter and watching her as she was growing up helped to describe Isobel's work!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Shelly (vixenreads) wrote: "Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things wrote: "Amanda (TheBookcraft) wrote: "I think Rogerson must be an artist herself. Honestly research can only get you so far and I shared a few excerpts with my painter..."

Okay that TOTALLY makes sense. Still, I am so impressed!!

Sophia This is one of my most anticipated reads ever. I read the synopsis at the beginning of the year and had to have it

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Sophia wrote: "This is one of my most anticipated reads ever. I read the synopsis at the beginning of the year and had to have it"

Agreed! It was mine too!! We are so close though!

message 22: by Kiki (new)

Kiki Wow, I'm so glad you liked it! I love reading fae stories and the beautiful cover certainly doesn't hurt.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Kiki wrote: "Wow, I'm so glad you liked it! I love reading fae stories and the beautiful cover certainly doesn't hurt."

Charlie Bowater is an amazing artist! I'm so glad they used her for the cover! I hope you love it!

Brooke — brooklynnnnereads I need this book!!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink brooklynnnne wrote: "I need this book!!"

Yes you do ;)

message 26: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey This looks so good Brit!! Fantastic review and I can't wait to read this one myself! 🤗

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Chelsea wrote: "This looks so good Brit!! Fantastic review and I can't wait to read this one myself! 🤗"

I can't wait to see what you think!! I feel like you're going to love it!

message 28: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate Starting today. I'm so pumped!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Kate wrote: "Starting today. I'm so pumped!"

Ooh yay!! I can't wait to see how you like it!

message 30: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Camden Added based on your review alone. Thanks!!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Kay wrote: "Added based on your review alone. Thanks!!"

Oh yay! I hope you love it!

message 32: by Megan (new)

Megan Lindley I thought that was a Charlie Bowater cover -- glad you confirmed. The plot sounds so much like ACOTAR that I'm a bit put off -- not because I didn't like it but because that book already exists.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Megan wrote: "I thought that was a Charlie Bowater cover -- glad you confirmed. The plot sounds so much like ACOTAR that I'm a bit put off -- not because I didn't like it but because that book already exists."

This is nothing like ACOTAR, so rest assured. Not even a little similar. The only thing they have in common is a girl entering a faerie world, and even that is handled in a totally different way. The plot is 100% different.

Kathi Wow I really want to read this now 😍 The fairies here kind of remind me of the Goblin King in Wintersong. I loved that book and want to read more folklore ☺

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Kathi wrote: "Wow I really want to read this now 😍 The fairies here kind of remind me of the Goblin King in Wintersong. I loved that book and want to read more folklore ☺"

Definitely add it to your wishlist! This is for sure my favorite fairybook, acomaf aside! The folklore aspect is so neat.

message 36: by Sabrina (new) - added it

Sabrina H. WOW, I wanted to read the book just by the concept of the story, but now that I've read your review, I know I will definitely be picking this book up as soon as possible!!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Sabrina wrote: "WOW, I wanted to read the book just by the concept of the story, but now that I've read your review, I know I will definitely be picking this book up as soon as possible!!"

Oh yay! I hope you love it! Its so fun!

COMPLETELY_BOOKISH Is there any explicit content in this book?

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink BOOKLION_01 wrote: "Is there any explicit content in this book?"

No there isn't!

message 40: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara I have been looking forward to this book for SO long! Just (anxiously) waiting for my library to tell me to pick it up!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Simona wrote: "I ordered my copy of this book and I cannot wait to read it!"

Soooo close!!!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Sara wrote: "I have been looking forward to this book for SO long! Just (anxiously) waiting for my library to tell me to pick it up!"

Ooh I can't wait to see what you think! Enjoy <33

Katie I hope my library gets it too. The cover is absolutely beautiful! I fell in love as soon as I saw it.

Madalin the Christian Cat Lady I listened to this on audio and I loved it so much that I bought a Hard Copy😻😻😻

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Julia wrote: "I hope my library gets it too. The cover is absolutely beautiful! I fell in love as soon as I saw it."

I hope you get to read it soon!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Madalin wrote: "I listened to this on audio and I loved it so much that I bought a Hard Copy😻😻😻"

I want to try the audio! It seems like the narrator did a great job from the preview

Jennifer Rook is hawt

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Jennifer wrote: "Rook is hawt"

I ship you and Rook tbh

message 49: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Great review! Looks like there’s another book to add to my “to read” list.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink It’s so worth it!