Mary Drover's Reviews > Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journey

Carrying the Fire by Michael  Collins

bookshelves: space, favorites, nonfiction

I love this dry, hilarious little book. This is definitely not for the casual reader. I think if I’d started with this book, I might have ran away from reading about astronauts altogether. It’s a lot packed into one book. The writing can be really dense and dry at times, but I think since I’ve read so many astronaut bios by now, I actually found most of this either super informational or an outright knee-slapper. Collins led a very interesting life that was often full of hard-working, exhausted moments, but also full of beautiful, unexpectedly inspiring passages. When he finally gets the chance to go to the moon, all he could talk about was the Earth, and I just love so much how truly astronauts adore our planet. Here they were, Mike, Buzz, and Neil, on their way to the most incredible journey of mankind ever, and all they could think about was going home to their big, blue, beautiful planet. Like with Chris Hadfield’s An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth (I’m going to keep recommending this book until the end of time, so it’s linked there), this really changed the way that I looked at the world. Not in this overwhelming, my life is brand new kind of way, but more of a stop and pause, and go, huh, well would you look at that. I’m alive, and it’s amazing. Thank you, Earth. It just makes me think sometimes.

For my, a 5-star rating is really about the timing of this book. Again, if I’d read it first or even toward the very beginning of my space-loving career in reading books, I might have given this 4, or even 3, stars. But, after having worked my way through Hadfield, Mullane, Smith (not an astronaut himself, but wrote about the 12 men who went to the moon), Roach (again, not an astronaut herself, but wrote extensively about space flight), and several other, albeit fictional, moon-related or YA space books, I was definitely ready to take on the massive, almost 500-page, tome that is Mike Collins’s fantastic life story. Next up: John Young.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrying the Fire.

February 4, 2017 – Shelved