Fatima's Reviews > Lily's House

Lily's House by Cassandra Parkin

Feb 10, 2017

it was ok

I haven’t read an Adult Fiction book in a while. After reading the synopsis of this book I was sure this is where I wanted to resume reading them. My expectations were quite different from what this book actually was about. Overall, I didn’t like it as much as I wanted to.
The book is written in first person narrative. It started slow and stayed somewhat the same. The chapters alternated between Jen’s Present and her Past with Lily. I liked the characters a lot. They were well built. The atmosphere was brilliantly captured too. But I feel the reason this book didn’t grab me entirely was because the main theme was very, very subtle and you don’t figure it out till the very end when it is all over the page. I mean the last 50 pages. Before that you are pretty much clueless.
The thing I liked the most about this book was Lily’s house and she herself. Imagining the whole house and picturing Lily in her full glory was amazing. I was interested in reading about Lily than any other character.
Something that really bugged me throughout was Jen’s husband. I just couldn’t stand him from his very first text. There is needy, then there is clingy, and then we have creepy. He was five steps ahead of all these.
Also, there is something the author left unanswered, and because I am someone who prefers a close ended book and to have complete answers, it left me kind of annoyed. You can obviously put two and two together but I prefer knowing the author’s complete perspective than have my own when the story is being narrated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lily's House.

February 4, 2017 – Started Reading