WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker's Reviews > Under Locke

Under Locke by Mariana Zapata

Jul 05, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, non-series

Thanks to Quirky Omega for the recommendation!

This had a glimmer or whiff of Kristen Ashley's writing but toned down. It is told in first person all from the heroine's pov and as I broken record say with this format, I missed getting an internal look into the hero. The romance is kind of a slow burn and I enjoyed the growing taking place.
I will say, around the 70% mark, I started to feel like the story was running long. There's some repetitiveness but I don't want to say the story is dragged out, it just moves more slowly than your average romance; no one's falling in love in two days.
Even though the hero is in an MC, it is definitely to the periphery, he's more of a tattoo parlor owner. He has immature anger management issues (a book club would be fun to discuss/shred his personality) and the heroine has a bit of never let it go-ness for far too long; there's definitely issues here.
The secondary characters were able to be more flushed out because of the pace and page count which I really enjoyed and would show up for a few secondary characters (Sonny!) staring in their own books.
I liked this one and even though the shine started to wear off around 70%, I still enjoyed the journey and writing style of the story. I'll definitely give another of the author's story a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under Locke.

February 3, 2017 – Shelved
February 3, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 4, 2017 – Started Reading
July 5, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary
July 5, 2017 – Shelved as: non-series
July 5, 2017 – Finished Reading

RachelW (BamaGal) I enjoyed 'Wall of Winnipeg' and 'Kulti'; but even those are too long and rambling. That seems to be an ongoing issue with MZ. She doesn't seem to like her "babies" to be edited.

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker I put Wall of Winnipeg on the tbr, thanks for suggesting. I'll be sure to gird my loins though with a 600+ page count, lol.

message 3: by Hilda (new)

Hilda After seeing this I started looking for "biker" books. Lol. There's this series that looks promising.

Do you have a biker story you recommend? One that comes to mind right away?

message 4: by Hilda (new)

Hilda RachelW (BamaGal) wrote: "I enjoyed 'Wall of Winnipeg' and 'Kulti'; but even those are too long and rambling. That seems to be an ongoing issue with MZ. She doesn't seem to like her "babies" to be edited."

I totally put these two books on my TBR list. They sound amazing.

RachelW (BamaGal) They are very good, but be prepared for about 80% of both books to be rather slow friendship buildup for the last 10-20% fantastic relationship payoff.

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker @ Hilda - It started off a bit slower for me but then got really good, Reapers series by Joanna Wylde. This is by far my fav "biker" sub-genre series :)

message 7: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Thanks!! I'll try that series next. I really don't know why I want to read about bikers. It's such a strange (only because it came out of no where) thing to want. I love your review and I totally read Wall of Winnipeg and Kulti back to back. I also really enjoyed them like Rachel. But I am so pre-PMS'ing so I hate them up like chocolate. Lol.

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Bikers is a sub-genre I occasionally gravitate too, must be the rebel, bad boy thing that's just so hard to shake :)
I'll have to pay attention to when I get the urge to read them, maybe we've identified PMS as a trigger!
Hope you enjoy the Reapers as much as I did!