Andrew Carlson's Reviews > Zac and Mia

Zac and Mia by A.J. Betts

Feb 14, 2017

I am always on the lookout for inspirational books about cancer patients who fight to win. Zac and Mia is very inspirational. This is a great book. I recommend it to anyone who wants to be inspired or to anyone who just wants to read a very good story.

I'm not necessarily a big fan of multiple first-person narration (read a previous blog post here), but it works in Zac and Mia because the narrator does not alternate in every other chapter. The changing point of view is used as needed to focus in on both Zac's and Mia's thoughts/feelings as each progresses through their treatments.

[SPOILERS] I was pleasantly surprised with the conclusion of the book. I was uneasy as the pages turned, hoping that Zac would make the correct decision, but fearful he would not. Thankfully, I was relieved. As a cancer survivor, I don't like reading stories of patients who give up. I personally believe that cancer patients should always fight as long as they are able. So when Zac continued his treatment, I was very relieved.

Zac and Mia is similar to The Fault in Our Stars, but I believe A.J. Betts delivers a better story. Yes, both patients have their low moments in both books. But in Zac and Mia, the two are able to pull each other up, giving the other strength to continue. When Mia is at bottom, Zac is there for her. And when Zac needs Mia, she is there for him. This book is much more uplifting than TFIOS.

I'm glad I found this book and recommend it to all. Please read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zac and Mia.

February 3, 2017 – Started Reading
February 3, 2017 – Shelved
February 3, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 4, 2017 –
10.0% "So far it's holding my interest."
February 11, 2017 –