BookChic Club's Reviews > The Season

The Season by Sarah MacLean

Jul 26, 2011

I really liked this book, especially the dialogue, which was usually witty and I do love me some humor, even more so when it's done in historical fiction because I tend to like humor that's more highbrow and said in more of a flowery kind of way. Anyway, I loved all of the main characters and really enjoyed reading their story. The romance was done so well and is very swoon-worthy but also full of quips, which is quite honestly the best kind of romance. The one thing I had a bit of a problem with was the mystery aspect; while it was intriguing, it felt to me almost as an after-thought, tacked on to move the plot along and make it more than just a romance book about the Regency-era Seasons. It takes a while for the mystery element to get going as part of the plot and a lot of the time I forgot it was even going on until a character mentioned it. There were patches of it, like there'd be a mystery scene and then it wouldn't be mentioned again for another 40 pages or so, and then another mystery scene would happen, then climaxing when it all comes together in the last 50 pages. It wasn't terribly cohesive, is what I'm trying to say. But aside from that, it is still a good book and a fairly light read. I'm starting to really enjoy these historical romances!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Season.