Julie's Reviews > Hidden Figures

Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly

bookshelves: 2017, e-book, history, biography, cultural, non-fiction, overdrive

Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly is a 2016 William Morrow publication.

America is for Everybody!!

It wouldn’t have mattered when or where I happened along this book, I would have loved it!!
But, with so many core values at stake in our immediate future, with the contributions of the best and the brightest on the line, this story reminds us of why we need maths and science, and how much we can accomplish if we all work together as people, with a common goal in mind.

The work of Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson, and Christine Darden, at a time when women and minorities were not treated equally, nor given the credit they so obviously deserved, is a testament to what can happen if you forge through barriers, focus on your goals, and meet challenges with determination, grace and dignity.
The excitement of the space program and the rapid advances of the time jumped off the page and hammered home the powerful impact these ladies had. It is also frustrating that their contributions were buried for so long. The segregation and humiliations they endured, while common for the time period, is no less outrageous, and still raised my ire at the absurdity of it.

But, ultimately, the author gives us a special insight into what inspired these exceptional women, highlighted their many talents, their personal convictions, and led us on an exciting journey that paved the way for so many of the wonderful achievements of our country.
The book is meticulously researched, well written, and achieves its ultimate goal. Mathematics and science are cool, and not just for guys, which is a misconception we still fight off today. No matter how late in coming, the accolades these women are now receiving is sure to promote a vigorous interest in these fields as the become a role model for future generations.
It is more important than ever that we fight for science, that we continue to promote education for all, and remember those who came before us, who paved the way and made sacrifices so we can enjoy the way of life we have now.

This is a fascinating book, rich in details, both historically and technically, some of which sailed over my head a little, but that only encouraged me to learn more.

I highly recommend this book to everyone, no matter what genre you typically prefer reading. This book is a learning experience and an extremely interesting peak at the 'behind the scenes' beginnings of the space program, proving that every person’s role and contribution is important and makes a difference. Best of all, it’s a true story!!

I can’t wait to see the movie now. I’ve heard it was really good!

5 stars!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Figures.

February 3, 2017 – Started Reading
February 3, 2017 – Shelved as: cultural
February 3, 2017 – Shelved as: non-fiction
February 3, 2017 – Shelved as: overdrive
February 7, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)

message 1: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Wonderful review Julie, glad you enjoyed it so much.

message 2: by linda (new)

linda Fantastic movie !!

Julie Maureen wrote: "Wonderful review Julie, glad you enjoyed it so much."

Thank you, Maureen!!

Julie I'm really looking forward to seeing it, Linda!!

Jess (Primrose) Awesome review, Julie! I'm moving this one up on the TBR list.

Camie My bookclub's March read !!!!

message 7: by Purple Country (new)

Purple Country Girl (Sandy) Excellent review, Julie!

Julie Jessica wrote: "Awesome review, Julie! I'm moving this one up on the TBR list."

Thank you, Jessica!! Enjoy!

Julie Purple Country wrote: "Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you, Purple Country!!

Julie Camie wrote: "My bookclub's March read !!!!"

I hope you will enjoy it, Camie! Happy reading!

Candi Excellent and enthusiastic review, Julie! I have this one up next to read! I can't wait :)

message 12: by Brina (new)

Brina Great review. I'm reading this soon and can't wait !!

Julie Candi wrote: "Excellent and enthusiastic review, Julie! I have this one up next to read! I can't wait :)"

Thank you, Candi! Enjoy!!

Julie Brina wrote: "Great review. I'm reading this soon and can't wait !!"

Thank you, Brina! I hope you enjoy it!!

message 15: by linda (new)

linda Hurry up and see it Julie - one of those movies were the audience claps at the end !!!

message 16: by linda (new)

linda Another must see is Lion !!!!

message 17: by StMargarets (new)

StMargarets The movie is fantastic - the actors are incredible. I'm interested in reading the book because I would have liked more backstory into their lives and how they kept going through so many setbacks. Great review!

Julie linda wrote: "Hurry up and see it Julie - one of those movies were the audience claps at the end !!!"

I believe it! It's a very inspirational story!!

Julie StMargarets wrote: "The movie is fantastic - the actors are incredible. I'm interested in reading the book because I would have liked more backstory into their lives and how they kept going through so many setbacks. G..."

Thank you StMargarets!These ladies were just amazing!!

message 20: by Mike (new)

Mike Fantastic review, Julie. Hope you get a chance to enjoy the movie as well.

Julie Mike wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie. Hope you get a chance to enjoy the movie as well."

Thanks, Mike!!

message 22: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Harrison The film is terrific!

Julie Laura wrote: "The film is terrific!"

Laura,
Thanks! So excited about seeing it now that I've read the book.

message 24: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Harrison Julie wrote: "Laura wrote: "The film is terrific!"

Laura,
Thanks! So excited about seeing it now that I've read the book."

You are welcome! I saw it recently. Amazing cast. I think you will love it.

message 25: by Roland (new) - added it

Roland Clarke Is this a case of watching the movie/DVD and then reading the book to flesh out what a movie has to leave out?

Julie Roland wrote: "Is this a case of watching the movie/DVD and then reading the book to flesh out what a movie has to leave out?"

No, actually, I read the book first. The book is better, for many reasons, but the movie has a terrific cast and without the technical details the book features, it reaches a broader audience, but both are very inspiring.

message 27: by Roland (new) - added it

Roland Clarke Thanks, Julie. I always find a book has much more depth than a film can achieve - but they are different types of creations so can both be enjoyable.

Julie Roland wrote: "Thanks, Julie. I always find a book has much more depth than a film can achieve - but they are different types of creations so can both be enjoyable."

I agree, Roland! On occasion, the movie does the book justice. I think in this case, much of math and science featured in the book might not have translated on film to mass audiences, so that element was toned down quite a bit. But, for once, Hollywood did a good job with the material.

message 29: by Carol (new)

Carol Your reviews are always right on.

Julie Carol wrote: "Your reviews are always right on."

Thank you for your kind words, Carol!! 😊❤😊

message 31: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter Fantastic review, Julie, I loved this story.

message 32: by Nicola (new) - added it

Nicola I loved this film it totally fascinated me how brilliant those ladies were and how much they achieved against all the odds. I have the book I definitely need to get to it I’m looking forward to reading all about their stories.Terrific review Julie! 💕

message 33: by Angela M (new) - added it

Angela M Great review, Julie.

Julie Peter wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie, I loved this story."

Thank you, Peter!! I did too! So inspirational!

Julie Nicola wrote: "I loved this film it totally fascinated me how brilliant those ladies were and how much they achieved against all the odds. I have the book I definitely need to get to it I’m looking forward to rea..."

Thank you, Nicola!! The book is much more technical, but it shows just how brilliant these ladies were!! ❤

Julie Angela M wrote: "Great review, Julie."

Thank you, Angela!! 😊