Joshua Gans's Reviews > Scholarly Publishing and its Discontents: An economist's perspective on dealing with market power and its consequences

Scholarly Publishing and its Discontents by Joshua Gans

It's probably not his best but a good read if you are interested in the topic

Joshua Gans (aka I) has written a number of books. This is his first self published one and, in my unbiased opinion, it shows. The book is mercifully short but lacks a good overarching story of take-a-way.

That said it is pretty much the only book out there that looks at Scholarly Publishing from an economics perspective. As Gans is a famous antitrust expert then this is what might be a rare treat. It would have been better however if he had stuck to this theme instead of veering off to offer somewhat random, although interesting, comments on font choice in academic journals. Font choice is really important but surely the knowledge within is what is important and not the typeface. I mean really. Also it missed a good discussion of pagination.

Finally, Gans ignores library science completely. It's not that he is unaware of it but you can the impression that he thinks that it isn't rigorous enough and so can be given short shrift. So if you like library science I am pretty sure you are not going to like this book.

In the end, if you are going to judge this book by its cover that is a good idea because Gans actually designed the cover himself and even bought a prop to do it. So there you go.

I liked the Index.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scholarly Publishing and its Discontents.

February 3, 2017 – Started Reading