Sarah's Reviews > The Gallery of Unfinished Girls

The Gallery of Unfinished Girls by Lauren Karcz

May 12, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley-edelweiss, contemporary, death, glbt, magical-realism, r2r-read, read-2017, young-adult

“The estate guides us to fulfil its needs,” Lilia says, “with art and music, structure and form, color and light. But it knows what you need, too.”

This was a YA magical realism story about a girl who was an artist, but had a bit of a creative block.

Mercedes was an okay character although she seemed to lack focus a bit when it came to her art, so it was good for her when Lilia turned up to help her.

The storyline in this was about Mercedes and her sister living alone for a short time while their mother went to look after their Abuela who was in a coma. Mercedes was having a bit of artist’s block, while her sister suddenly took to playing the piano that appeared in their garden one day. Then a new neighbour turned up – Lilia, who took Mercedes to an old building where she was able to paint, although the artwork couldn’t be taken out of the building without it disappearing.
We also got a storyline about Mercedes having romantic feelings toward her best friend Victoria, but the story didn’t really focus on the romance.

The ending to this was okay, but overall I found this to be quite an odd story.

6.25 out of 10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gallery of Unfinished Girls.