Sarah's Reviews > The Art of Starving

The Art of Starving by Sam J. Miller

May 09, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley-edelweiss, contemporary, magical-realism, r2r-read, read-2017, romance, young-adult, glbt, eating-disorder
Read 2 times. Last read May 8, 2017 to May 9, 2017.

“Hunger makes you better. Smarter. Sharper.
I have learned this through practical experimentation.”

This was a YA contemporary/magical realism story about a boy who thought his eating disorder gave him super-powers.

Matt was quite a quirky character, and I liked how he was openly gay and unashamed about being who he was. I did feel sorry for him though that he had so much stuff going on in his life to deal with though.

“My best guess is that a spell has been cast on me, so that everyone else sees me as a scrawny gangly bag full of bones, and I alone see the truth, which is, as I mentioned, that I am an enormous fat greasy disgusting creature.”

The storyline in this was about Matt’s eating disorder, his sister running away from home, and even a little romance. We also got a bit of a strange storyline about Matt thinking that the hungrier he was, the more his special powers worked, and he was able to smell people and know their secrets. This was a little strange, but it did seem like these weird things were really happening to him rather than him being delusional. I was also surprised by the romance in this story as I wasn’t expecting that at all, but I was glad that someone saw Matt and accepted him for who he was.

“I saw, heard, smelled things others could not.
Somehow, I had become Peter f*cking Parker.”

The ending to this was okay, but this did feel like rather an odd story overall.

6.25 out of 10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Starving.