Book Wormy's Reviews > Wishful Drinking

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher

bookshelves: read-2017

Wishful Drinking Carrie Fisher
★★★★★

Last year hubbie and I started playing Imperial Assault a Star Wars board game (I know it sounds sad but it is a lot of fun) and to get us in the mood we revisited the original Star Wars movies, this book then happened to catch my eye I bought it and never got round to reading it. In light of the recent tragic events now seemed a perfect time to read this, my only regret is that I didn't read it sooner.

From the very start it feels like a conversation with a friend, Fisher is upfront, straight forward and irreverent she is also hilariously funny, I will now be reading her other books as she is definitely a gifted storyteller.

Fisher begins by explaining that she has just had EST and as a result she has lost a lot of memories so this book is her way of reminding herself who she is and why people know her. While the book is made up largely of amusing incidents in Fisher's life she doesn't shy away from the fact that she has mental health issues, she is a recovering alcoholic, with an addiction to opiates and manic depression and she embraces this all as part of who she is.

I enjoyed her wry look back at her childhood, her parents marriages and the photos included in the narrative. The fact that she loves her mother and her daughter no matter what comes across loud and clear and it is lovely to see that kind of relationship among the Hollywood elite.

This book is really an introduction to Carrie Fisher the person and her family and not to Princess Leia although the influence Leia had on the rest of her life is clear.

I have not laughed so much at a book in a long time and I am still smiling now.

Reading this it's hard to believe that she is no longer with us as her voice is full of life and so alive.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wishful Drinking.

February 3, 2017 – Started Reading