Elena-Loredana's Reviews > Royally Roma

Royally Roma by Teri Wilson

Original Review at The Book Portal.

4.5/5 stars.
This book was sweet, romantic, and intense. The love felt genuine and real despite being insta-love. Niccolo and Julia were complex characters with complicated pasts. They meet by chance and everything goes down from there.
Being a retelling of the classic black and white film Roman Holiday was one of things which attracted me to this book. And this says something because my number one black and white movie is Roman Holiday followed by Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.
The story has its flaws. Some might find the writing repetitive and overwhelming in the beginning (especially in the description category). Despite the cliché and the flaws, it made me feel things. I was able to connect with the characters. I felt sad. I felt mushy. I felt joy and sorrow. And this is the most important thing when it comes to a book. Books must have the ability to make you root for the characters and feel what they feel.
Rome. That setting! It was a perfect ambiance for the romantic story to bloom. Rome was well written in the book, full of magic and history. An Eternal City indeed.
I was in the mood for this romance. And because it moved me, I felt like giving it a high rating. But! There is always a but. I made a short list of the main things that bothered me.
Bothering things (if you read the book you will understand): lack of GPS tracking; portraying the female in some instances based on the ancient Greek misconception (lack of self-restraint); same can be said about the male character who is portrayed as in control, honorable and in charge of the polis (thank goodness he was not also the stereotypical bad-boy).
[Yes, I had to throw some historical facts. The action is happening in Rome for goodness sake! Ha-ha-ha =))!]
Do you love super sweet, charged, and cheesy romance? Then, this is your cup of tea. Or should I say cup of espresso? ;)

This is my sole opinion. ^_^

I would to like say thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royally Roma.

February 3, 2017 – Started Reading