Tari's Reviews > Clammed Up

Clammed Up by Barbara  Ross

I finally got to start this series that I've been collecting and I really enjoyed this first book! I'm definitely looking forward to reading the rest. I probably won't be caught up by the time the latest one comes out, but at least I have a start at it!

Julia Snowden quit her job in Manhattan to come home and help her brother-in-law Sonny salvage the Snowden Family Clambake in Busman's Harbor, Maine. Her dad had passed five years ago but she found out after living with her mom after she got back, that she hadn't really gotten over it too well. The new clambake season was just getting started with a clambake for a wedding when the body of the best man was found hanging in the mansion that stood on the island. Later, after being allowed to open in a day, a fire had started on the mansion's porch so they were closed again. Since the business was already on shaky ground and the police couldn't tell her when they'd be back open, Julia took it on herself to start investigating and hopefully find out who killed Ray the best man. If she couldn't do that soon, she had a feeling that the clambake would have to close for good.

I really enjoyed getting to know all these characters! I think one of my favorites was Gus, the owner of the local diner who only allowed locals in. It didn't seem like a very profitable way to do business but I guess that was just Gus. He didn't have a lot to say but when he did, what he said was meaningful. I wasn't sure if I liked the character of Sonny or not (he's married to Livvie, Julia's sister) but by the end of the book, he did seem like a more friendly and likable person. Some people in this mystery weren't what they seemed to be at all as I found out towards the end which was pretty exciting. Everything was well-explained since it ended with a special clambake for all the local friends and police.

I'll definitely be reading the rest of the series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clammed Up.

February 2, 2017 – Shelved