Lola 's Reviews > Salt to the Sea

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys

bookshelves: historical-fiction, world-war-ii

4.5 stars.

No wonder SALT TO THE SEA won the 2016 Goodreads Choice Award for Young Adult Fiction. It’s pretty darn captivating.

Every time I finish reading an historical novel, especially the WWII ones, I find the need to congratulate myself. It’s no secret that those novels are usually heavy in emotions and historical elements.

Yet Ruta Sepetys made reading this YA historical novel so easy. I didn’t even feel the necessity to take a dozen breaks between chapters. And that’s because it’s so…

Accessible. You don’t have to be a university student to understand fully what happens in this book. You don’t even need to be knowledgeable about World War II. The only thing you need to do is pay close attention to what the characters are saying.

Which isn’t hard at all. Ruta Sepetys’ writing is simple enough that we understand absolutely everything she is saying, but not so simple that it feels as if it were written by a kindergartener. It’s actually very lyrical.

This novel is narrated from four distinct point of views/characters – Alfred, Florian, Joana and Emilia – who are all brought together on the Wilhelm Gustloff by the catastrophic war.

Like many people, I forgot about this terrible part of the Second World War. I first heard about this ship when I watched the movie The Imitation Game, if this is indeed the ship that was mentioned in the movie, yet I only connected the dots when things started getting awry in the novel. Even more so than they are already were.

What a tragic event. So many lives. How did I not learn about this ship in high school? Thank you, books and movies (if that’s the ship!).

Blog | Youtube | Twitter | Instagram | Google+ | Bloglovin’

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salt to the Sea.

February 1, 2017 – Started Reading
February 1, 2017 – Shelved
February 1, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

Maggie • Library of Colors LOOOOVE this book! Maybe my favorite 2016 read. She's so great. Between Shades of Gray is wonderful, too!

Andrea Yes! I read this aloud to my teenage son. We were both appalled and captivated.

Mridu  aka Storypals I was so sceptical to go into this one because history novels aren't my thing only and only because the kind of metaphors they use and amount of emotions I have to invest with great amount of patience, your review has put me in ease and I will definitely pick it up soon.

JumbleofJargon Woah, I didn't even connect the dots that this was the event they mentioned in The Imitation Game

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Great review Lola. I really liked between shades of gray, you should check it out if you liked this one :)

message 6: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda This review just makes me all the more excited to read the book! :D

Candace Wonderful review, Lola! I have been wanting to read this one for awhile. :)

Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.) Such an incredible review!

Sandra I have seen this book in book stores everywhere but never really looked at it much. Just reading your review now I know what it is about. My mom was actually there when that happened as a refugee (my mom grew up on a farm not far away from Danzig which they had to abandon and flee) and part of her family was on that ship but they survived. Strange to see a book which is actually connected to your own family history.

Sandra I marked it as to read but I'm not so sure about it. Is this pretty gruesome or is it not so bad?

Lola Must feel peculiar indeed. Not gruesome - I wouldn't say that. Just deep and sad at times.

Sandra ok thanks.

Lola :)

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Great review, Miss Lola! This looks pretty spectacular :)

message 15: by Madelyn (new)

Madelyn Marie This one has been sitting on my shelf for awhile but your review intrigued me! Maybe I'll pick it up next.

message 16: by Choko (new)

Choko Beautiful review, Lola!!

message 17: by EMILY (new) - added it

EMILY Great review. I will definitely read it

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam Great review, Lola :)

Lola Thank you so much!!

Shahd SM Great review! And I certainly enjoyed this more than other WWII novels.

message 21: by Pang (new) - added it

Pang Great review, Lola. I heard a lot of great things about this one, I will try to find times to read it, then. ;)

Astraea Luma Such a great review! I felt exactly the same!

Nooreen I just read that they are going to be turning it into a movie soon!http://variety.com/2017/film/news/uni...

message 24: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer You and I both find this book captivating. It showed such a real side to World War II. I think that your review was a great explanation of the book. Great job!

Namrata Yeah, it really was no surprise when it also won the Carnegie Medal too! I agree with you, Lola, it engulfed me in it's beauty as well!