Rachel Vine's Reviews > Highland Pursuits

Highland Pursuits by Emmanuelle de Maupassant

Review of Highland Pursuits by Emmanuelle Maupassant

I can’t tell you how much I love this book. It was a true delight to read. The author has captured the period in 1920s Britain wonderfully, and her detail is exquisite.

Lady Ophelia Finchingfield has turned down the chance of marriage to the dull Honourable Percival Huntley-Withington, whom she met while coming out as a debutante during the Season in London. She finds the life of a woman of her era and class to be limited and boring, and longs for greater freedom to live her life differently. She is packed off to her grandmother in Scotland by her mother, who hopes that Ophelia will come to her senses and marry Percival.

In Scotland we are introduced to a whole host of delicious characters, both above and below stairs, and the author captures their personalities and idiosyncrasies wonderfully. Her grandmother, for example, describes a man called Hector as follows. He’s been creeping towards the grave so long that the Reaper has grown tired of waiting for him to shamble within arm’s reach. Wonderful description! And a comment from the Comte, “If a woman cultivates the sexual appeal of a parsnip, she will find herself bedding a cabbage.” The whole story is full of such engaging and often humorous comments, which makes the story so delightful.

The character who most appeals to Ophelia is Hamish, the estate manager on her grandmother’s estate. He is everything that Percival is not, but is not so easily persuaded that Ophelia is the woman for him. Will she be able to compete against the sophisticated French woman Felicité, who has charmed Hamish into her bed?

I urge you to read this book and I’m sure that, like me, you won’t want to put it down until you have finished it. It is a real tours de force.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Highland Pursuits.

January 31, 2017 – Started Reading