Kevin Tole's Reviews > Londongrad: From Russia with Cash: The Inside Story of the Oligarchs

Londongrad by Mark Hollingsworth

Jul 26, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: history, non-fiction, life-now

Intensely dull journalese which appears to want us to all go WOW!! at the examples of largesse spewed regularly from the latest Russian set of thieves and villains. Poorly researched and essentially lacking in the detail and understanding that would have come from a greater knowledge and elucidation of historical events and subject matter. This book is down there with gutter journalism designed to sell copies at airports to those arriving or leaving for pastures Russian or Londinium or to Chelski fans. Its not worth the cheap paper it is written on and spends much of it's time in awe to the people / villains involved in this currently non-ending blag of the highest order whilst at the same time doing its best to brown nose precisely those people it sets out to sensationalise. I truly disliked its suck up attitude whilst at the same time trying to find some kind of moral high ground from which to preach about the largesse of oligarchs and the corruptability of Russia.

Investigative journalism!!! Don't make me larf!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Londongrad.

Philip Larmett I can see what has Kevin worried. On page 41, Komi Republic, where Abramovich spent much of his childhood, is placed in Siberia.
While it is undoubtedly a forbidding place in the winter, and on the railway line to former GULAG camp Vorkuta, it is in the north (sub-Arctic) of European Russia. Siberia only starts at the Urals, as far as I remember.