Susan Johnson's Reviews > The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit by Elly Griffiths

I don't do well underground. I don't like the feeling it gives me. Californians don't really dig unless it's for gold. We don't even have many basements in the state. Norwich England is different. There is a tunnel system under the city that goes almost everywhere. It's been abandoned but it's there and a developer decides he wants to build a restaurant in one of them. As they develop the site, bones are found.

Ruth Galloway is called in to investigate and discovers the bones are relatively new and have been boiled. That's a sign of cannibalism and people become worried about what's going on in those tunnels. Then two homeless men are murdered and three women are abducted off the street and the police have their hands full. They discover there is a Brotherhood and secret societies using the tunnels and search is on for the missing women and the murderer.

All of the 9 Ruth Galloway books can be read as stand alones but they are so much richer if you know the characters and their relationships. This one ties up the story of Tim, a policeman who left the force in mysterious circumstances, the romance of Cloughie and Cassandra, Ruth's major life event and what Nelson's wife, Michelle, is up to now. I like her less and less every book. I was really more interested in what was happening with the characters than the actual mystery. Maybe this interesting story will inspire you to go back and read them all. They are all worthwhile.

I love this series and the Ruth Galloway character. It's not often you find such an intelligent and independent protagonist. I admire her and love the characters surrounding her. I can't recommend it more highly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chalk Pit.

January 31, 2017 – Shelved
January 31, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 29, 2017 – Started Reading
April 1, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Frances (new)

Frances Good 5* review Susan! (Boiled bones .... yikes!!). lol