Sara's Reviews > The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo

An exquisite and intoxicating collection of myths that Leigh Bardugo wrote as part of her GrishaVerse, the fictional world where her Grisha Trilogy and Six of Crows duology take place. It's hard to call each piece a short story or a fairy tale, because although they're short, they have that timeless, allegorical quality of folklore but are so deliciously dark that fairy tales would taste flat or syrupy sweet in comparison.

So what are they exactly? Tales of warning and hard lessons, darkness with glimpses of light, and characters who must grab hold of their fate or else the world will decide it for them. Reminders that life can yank the rug out from under your feet at any moment, and that greed, jealousy, and ambition can be more dangerous than magic. Tastes of the distinct flavors, cultures, and belief systems that populate the GrishaVerse. And subtle twists on familiar creatures and otherworldly beings that make them fresh and exciting.

The writing in THE LANGUAGE OF THORNS is... just... ohhhh, to die for. Lush and elegant, vivid and eerie, all without going overboard. I'd go so far as to describe Leigh Bardugo's style here as "word-painting." She truly has become an artist in her craft. (Not to mention I got a strong Neil Gaiman vibe from this book, which is thrilling because I think he's one of LB's influences.) And Sara Kipin's illustrations are so intricate and haunting. Make sure you take the time to pause at every page and see how each tale's "big picture" is unfurling.

N.K. Jemisin, Katharine Arden, you have serious competition for claiming the top of my 2017 favorite reads. Watch out. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Thorns.

January 31, 2017 – Shelved
January 31, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
November 5, 2017 – Started Reading
November 5, 2017 –
page 50
17.79% "Started this while eating dinner after Christmas shopping last night, since the Inheritance Omnibus isn't exactly ideal for an on-the-go read (i.e., it's HUGE). One tale in so far and I'm already loving it. Then again, this is Leigh Bardugo we're talking about here. ;)"
November 14, 2017 –
page 159
56.58% "Man... it is going to be darn near IMPOSSIBLE to pick a favorite story from this collection. I love them all so far!

Also, Droessen in The Soldier Prince is a bit too creepy."
November 15, 2017 –