Julie's Reviews > The Circle

The Circle by Dave Eggers

bookshelves: book-to-movie-or-series

Was prophetic and terrifying about the dark future of the internet. I didn't give it five stars because sometimes the writing was overly flowery in completely random places, Mae was rather unlikable, and the fact that internet trolls didn't exist (the lack of anonymity made them disappear) is completely and utterly unrealistic. How was Mae not stalked or have her life threatened or at least trolled by thousands of people?

Lastly, Eggers seemed to completely ignore that laws would have to be changed, maybe even the Constitution, to render all of this possible.

That said much of what happens in the book does seem entirely possible even inevitable. However the idea that the all of America would let it happen, even support it the way they did, in this book was completely ridiculous. There would be groups fighting against it. Probably even to the extent that they would try bombing The Circle. Had Eggers shown resistance more realistically I would have thought it more believable.

And it was predictable. I knew who Kalden was from the very beginning.

Some of what Eggers writes about is already happening. The way we see everything through our phones and share everything on social media. Bitcoin. Now it's legal for companies to share our information. There's one prophecy in the book come true! I particularly found the fighting of the worlds atrocities by sending frowns hilarious because it's really not far from the truth. Facebook now allows you to hit different emoticons so that's another prophecy come true! If the Vault 7 report from Wikileaks is to be believed the CIA can spy on us through our smart devices. That's three come true so far so maybe Eggers is actually effing brilliant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Circle.

January 31, 2017 – Shelved