Readyourselfhealthy's Reviews > Nobody Nowhere: The Extraordinary Autobiography of an Autistic Girl

Nobody Nowhere by Donna Williams

U 50x66
Jul 25, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: autism, understanding-autism, sensory-processing

This book--along with Someone Somewhere--is difficult to get through. It chronicles the life of the author, starting with an abusive and horrible childhood that is at times, very difficult to get through. It is certainly not a typical account of autism, with the author being at least very high functioning. I was not sure at all reading the book if the author was autistic, but she definitely has her difficulties. What is insightful in the book is the explanation and description of sensory processing as the author experiences it. She writes of how she remembers relating to the world as a child and how she could stare at things for hours. It is a fascinating peek into how an autistic child interprets things--a description that I have not read of anywhere else. She also explains certain things at the end--certain movements, gestures, etc. One is that many autistic children like to feel pressure on their chins. I know my son does this constantly, pushing his chin into one of us. Again this is the only place I have read of this. Interestingly, Williams also discovered that she had tons of allergies when she was older--allergies that were severe. When she treated the allergies, she also found that some of the autism symptoms improved as well.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nobody Nowhere.