Emma's Reviews > Till We Have Faces

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis

it was ok
bookshelves: classicsclub, read-in-2017

I read this book for a book club, but I have to say I think I really didn't get its worth.
The style was unexpected as well, I had just read The Screwtape Letters, and enjoyed it so so much. But this is quite different.
It's a kind of variation on the myth of Cupid and Psyche, but I think it went over my head, even though there are elements I liked, like the character of the Fox, as a wise figure.
I also enjoyed the fact that Orual manages finally to be honest about herself and to see the truth thanks to her own writing of her own story and on what happened in her earlier years.
Many times when I was reading the book, I was reminded of Jeremiah 20:7.
There were some neat quotations, but I will add to the quotation feature - which should show here right under my review
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Till We Have Faces.

Quotes Emma Liked

C.S. Lewis
“I was with book, as a woman is with child.”

C.S. Lewis
“Of the things that followed I cannot at all say whether they were what men call real or what men call dream. And for all I can tell, the only difference is that what many see we call a real thing, and what only one sees we call a dream. But things that many see may have no taste or moment in them at all, and things that are shown only to one may be spears and water-spouts of truth from the very depth of truth.”

C.S. Lewis
“I said not long before that work and weakness are comforters. But sweat is the kindest creature of the three--far better than philosophy, as a cure for ill thoughts.”

C.S. Lewis
“Have you forgotten what we are to say to ourselves every morning? 'Today I shall meet cruel men, cowards and liars, the envious and the drunken. They will be like that because they do not know what is good from what is bad. This is an evil which has fallen upon them not upon me. They are to be pitied, not...”

January 30, 2017 – Shelved