Melanie's Reviews > The Song Rising

The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon

bookshelves: arc, dystopian, paranormal, read-in-2017, romance, sci-fi, young-adult, signed

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

1.) The Bone Season ★★★
2.) The Mime Order ★★★

First and foremost, this chart will save your life, especially if it has been a hot second since you've read The Bone Season and The Mime Order:

Next, it's confirmed that the wait for the next book is going to kill me. When I received an ARC of this book, I thought this was going to be a trilogy, little did I know it's actually going to be a seven book series and the wait for the fourth one is most likely going to kill me. I guess there are worse ways to go.

Parts of this book completely broke me. Samantha Shannon really knows how to make her words cut, and she doesn't pull back. I actually felt like everything Paige was losing, I was losing. It's a huge talent to be able to immerse readers the way she does, and for that alone I think it is worth giving this series a try.

AND THE ANGST! Oh, Lord, please, if the waiting for the next book doesn't kill me, the slow burn angst romance will. I am so emotionally invested in Paige and Warden that at this point I can't think of another fictional couple I'd rather have together. Please, just let these little babies have happiness with each other!

Speaking of broken hearts, Ivy and Róisín about ripped my heart out, too. Seriously, I'm unhealthily obsessed with these characters and I need to know everything about them, these precious little cinnamon rolls. Please, Samantha Shannon, please!

The Underground was such an amazing experience to read about! I said in my review of The Mime Order how much I loved Wrynn and the Jacobites, and in this book we get them and a whole other civilization we didn't even know about!

I will say that the first third of this book is a little slow. I was very fearful of what my rating would be until I hit about the 35% mark. Then, I was unable to put this book down, because it was so action packed, eventful, and just so damn good.

The Song Rising picks up right where The Mime Order left off: Paige is now the Underqueen and has so many new responsibilities that revolve not only around saving her people, but saving the world that is unaware of the monstrosities that are coming. Uniting the clairvoyants of London seems impossible, Paige can't even imagine uniting all of Europe, and the thought of uniting the entire world seems so impossible.

“Never allow yourself to believe you should be silent.”

Speaking of uniting countries, some of the themes and quotes of this book should be mandatory reading for all of the United States, right now. I promise, I try to keep my reviews nonpolitical, but I just can't help it lately. Governments lying to people and using scare tactics to only unite fear is VERY real in my world right now. Pieces of fiction like this give me hope.

“Some people believe that if they keep their heads down and stick to their safe routine and trust that nothing bad will befall them, then it won’t. They see things happening to others, but they think they’re different; they’re special; it could never happen to them.”

Also, it would be impossible to read this book and not make a million different comparisons to Paige and Katniss from The Hunger Games. Both are self sacrificing, both are very talented in fighting that doesn't involve strength, and both are the face of their world's uprising. Seriously, I could go on for days about their similarities, and once you notice it, it feels impossible to ignore.

But their similarities aren't a bad thing. Hell, I could read about strong female protagonists that are saving their worlds all day long. Being strong and defiant in the face of evil is a trend I'm looking forward to in 2017.

Another important thing to note is that Paige is traumatized, and is suffering with PTSD throughout this book. I know this series doesn't have a ton of diversity, but it does have some, and I really appreciated seeing Paige dealing with her disorder, and realistically struggling with her disorder. Paige hasn't had the easiest life in this series, and she has had to witness so many of her loved ones die. Traumatic events from her childhood are explored even more in this book, and seeing Paige exposed to more dangerous events is utterly heartbreaking, but sincerely appreciated.

With this third installment, I finally feel like the main story is finally starting to take off. Sort of like Harry Potter, I feel like the fourth books is going to be where we start our uphill climb to the big boss fight. Paige is essentially starting over, and we have so many different threads, in so many different locations. I truly believe this is the start of something beautiful, and the coming together of all these threads is going to be something unforgettable.

Even though I love Paige, this series' shining light is truly the side characters. Samantha Shannon has crafted some amazing characters that you can't help but love and root for. Nick, Maria, Eliza *sings name like in Hamilton*: all phenomenal, and I would preorder and devour any spin-off book starting any of them. As for the Rephaites: Terebell has got me shook and Warden has got me making heart eyes.

Yet, the villains are truly a tier above most YA villains, too. They are complex, and they are mysterious, and they are completely addicting. I have nothing but high hopes for this entire cast in the books that have yet to be released.

“Jaxon had been right about words. They could grant wings, or they could tear them away.”

(view spoiler)

The next book is going to be such a different reading experience. I can't say much without giving away spoilers, but ME AND MY SHIP, steered by Warden and Paige, ARE SO HERE FOR IT!

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song Rising.

January 30, 2017 – Shelved
January 30, 2017 – Shelved as: sci-fi
January 30, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 7, 2017 – Started Reading
February 8, 2017 –
40.0% "I'm not crying, you're crying. 🙃"
February 9, 2017 – Shelved as: signed
February 9, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Hope you enjoy it, Melanie!! ♡

Melanie Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ wrote: "Hope you enjoy it, Melanie!! ♡"

Thank you, love! I hope I do! <3 xo

message 3: by Sammm (new) - added it

Sammm Oh wow, I guess we just have slightly (or very lol) different taste, but I'm glad you like this book even more than the previous books =D

(When I read your review, I was like... did we read the same ARC? lmao)

Despite not liking the book as much, I'm still excited for my Collector's Editions, it'd be my first physical book of this series. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more the second time round!

Melanie Sammm wrote: "Oh wow, I guess we just have slightly (or very lol) different taste, but I'm glad you like this book even more than the previous books =D

(When I read your review, I was like... did we read the sa..."

I'm sorry, love, but you didn't like it? We gave it the same rating! Hehe! <3

My biggest problem with the ARC was the formatting and errors, but I'm obviously not going to hold the cook accountable for that. :P

message 5: by Sammm (new) - added it

Sammm
Melanie wrote: "I'm sorry, love, but you didn't like it? We gave it the same rating! Hehe! <3

If the first ~35% wasn't slow, I would have probably given it 5 stars. I really, really liked it! <3 "

I actually liked it the least so far lol; like what I did to TBS, my 4 was an honorary one; after my first read, I see it more of a 3~3.25 (oh wow, my opinion hasn't changed! Just double-checked what I wrote and it was exactly what I put on my WIP review lol), but there's the fact that I received an ARC, and my fear for people to pass it should the rating wasn't high enough. It's still early, while I know my one rating wouldn't do so much as on a grand level, but I do hope for the best for the series.

Once it's published then it's another story. I haven't marked the additional editions I've gone through for 2016; usually I'd go through a book twice, by ebook and audiobook. During the reading challenge I will only mark one for the same book to only be counted once (even though I might have revisited it several times), and only until the year is over would I add the duplicates. And that's when I may rate the same book differently, since GR currently doesn't (and probably never would) have half-stars.

Anyways, to sum it up; pretty sure for the additional editions I'd own, I'd rate at least one of them a 3 eventually. (Unless the final book was severely tweaked, which I very much doubt.)

I didn't hate the book or anything; I enjoy especially the part that we got to explore more places; I just didn't love it as I did book 2. xP Again though, glad you liked it!!! <3

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Wonderful review hon :-) I hate when they change book covers before a series/trilogy is finished!! I can't even finish some of my series books. I will have to get them in kindle because they never made the rest of the books the same!! xo ❤

message 7: by Melanie (last edited Feb 09, 2017 06:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melanie Sammm wrote: "

I would never be like "why did you rate it like this!?" I was just confused, but I totally understand now! When books in series I love let me down... I sometimes unleash the Kraken, so I just had to ask, hehe! <3

Hey, GR gave us rereads, maybe we will have half stars in a few years if we all wish hard enough! ;]

Melanie Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Wonderful review hon :-) I hate when they change book covers before a series/trilogy is finished!! I can't even finish some of my series books. I will have to get them in kindle because they never ..."

This is me. I'm like, "I have the first twenty books in mass market paperback, you're really going to put out 21 in hard cover?!!" Breaks my little heart!

Thank you for your kind words, Melissa! <3

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I know!! What's wrong with them !!

Your most welcome hun bun :-) ❤

message 10: by Denisa (new)

Denisa Great review sweetie!

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Fantastic review, Melanie!! ♡ xx

Melanie Denisa wrote: "Great review sweetie!"

Thank you, Denisa! <3 xo

Melanie Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ wrote: "Fantastic review, Melanie!! ♡ xx"

Thank you, Jess! <3 xo

Melanie Maddie wrote: "Absolutely amazing review, Melanie ;-)"

Thank you so very much, Maddie! <3 xo

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Lovely review Melanie! xoxo

Melanie SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Lovely review Melanie! xoxo"

Thank you so much, Sue! <3 xo

message 17: by Gelisvb (new)

Gelisvb :-( I'm sad because we cannot buddy read it

Melanie Gelisvb wrote: ":-( I'm sad because we cannot buddy read it"

Awh, me too! BUT GUSH AND WRITE TO ME ALL YOUR FEELS! <3 xo

Melanie Maddie wrote: "Stunning review, once again, Melanie :D"

You're too kind to me, Maddie! Thank you! <3 xx

Caira Great Review! I didn't realize how slow the book started off at first...but I do realize I wasn't glued to the pages at first like I usually am with a good book. But the latter half? YAAAASSS. Also, I fully appreciate that even though Paige and Warden's relationship isn't super mushy and in slow development, I'm completely hopeful( and scared) of what their future will hold. I mean cuz really, how can you be intimate with an alien? Or make babies with him?? Well that's of course if she WANTS babies...

Melanie Caira wrote: "Great Review! I didn't realize how slow the book started off at first...but I do realize I wasn't glued to the pages at first like I usually am with a good book. But the latter half? YAAAASSS. Also..."

Thank you so very much, Caira! Yeah, I'm in way too deep with Paige and Warden, but I question if they can every truly be together, too. And with a seven book series... you know she's going to give us that angst throughout! Haha! <3 xo

message 22: by Crumb (new)

Crumb Wonderful and entertaining review, Melanie!