Harry Whitewolf's Reviews > Doll Shaker

Doll Shaker by Casey Renee Kiser

28206267

bookshelves: poetry

This is the second collection of poetry I’ve read by Casey Renee Kiser, and I’m suitably impressed. I loved the other book I read (Fade Out, Smile), but this one hangs together even better as a unified collection, where the themes are chiefly to do with sex, surviving life’s hard knocks, and the vulnerability of fragile emotive forces at play in Kiser’s head and heart.

These poems are both dark and playful (as well as humorous), and that’s perfect, ‘cos a lot of this verse is treading the line between childhood fantasy and adult sexual fantasy, where dolls, teddy bears and toys feature in abundance. Doll Shaker perfectly combines metaphor and straight-talking, and it’s a work you will want to spend time with; I read it three times before I felt able to review it – these are poems you want to let seep into you slowly.

I also want to mention Casey Renee Kiser’s style – she’s doing her own thing for sure, and I love the way she crafts her words and creates simplicity with plenty of depth.

Here are some quotes I liked:

“Premium glare of white noise-
Tragically prettier than the other toys
Undress her to be the talk of the room
Then throw her on the bed
and let the teddies have the boom”

“Simple men

“Misfit toys
don’t bring
Christmas joy
Shut up and unwrap
your shiny new identity crisis”

Doll Shaker is the perfect title, and I kept finding myself singing Hole’s Doll Parts along the way.

Casey Renee Kiser is a Babe in Toyland who isn’t afraid of expressing her basest emotions. Intelligent, sensitive, honest and enticing, this little big book is most certainly worthy of your reading time.

I should also mention how lovely this paperback edition is – it’s one of those books you definitely want to be holding in your hands – and it’s full of clever use of differing font types and some wonderful illustrations by Jasmyn Taylor Givens.

4.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doll Shaker.

January 30, 2017 – Started Reading