Jennifer's Reviews > The Evolution of Ivy: Poison

The Evolution of Ivy by Lauren     Campbell

bookshelves: favorites-2017, 2017-bnb-reading-challenge

4.5/5 stars

The Evolution of Ivy is book 1 of what appears to be a duology.

The book is told in alternating POVs. However the main point of view is Ivy's 1st person POV. The book goes back and forth between the present (2015) and various times in the past.

Ivy met Brooks when they were kids. She was poor and was bullied a lot. They grew apart. But now they are adults (she is 27) and she wants what she wants.

I thought that the first chapter was interesting and so different. I wasn't in the mood for a traditional romance. I was happy to read something different and exciting. I don't even really know what genre to put this book in. It's not a contemporary romance although there is some romance. I have seen it labelled as "dark". Even though there are some darker things in the story most of the books that I have read that are labelled "dark" are much more disturbing.

I could not put this book down. You should hate Ivy. But I was rooting for her. She was damaged and a bit psycho. But I really liked her. She was definitely disturbed. But I found other characters to be much worse (meaner, crazier, bitchier). So I didn't mind cheering for Ivy.

I sort of didn't mind that some of the chapters went into the past. But I wish that it wasn't every few chapters, as I much preferred the present.

The book blurb says, "Strong language, strong sexual content. Book 1 in a series, but can be read as a standalone." I actually completely disagree with this warning. I did not find the language to be particularly strong. Yes there is some sexual content. And while I will say that this book is most suitable for 18+ I don't think that this book has more sexual content than the typical contemporary romance. Also, I really do not feel like this book can be read as a standalone. There is not exactly a cliffhanger ending, but the book ends off in a place where you will need to read book two. I was not satisfied that this was a complete story. I definitely need book two to see where the story goes.

The book is addictive. The book is crazy. I almost felt like I was reading Tarryn Fisher. I did not know exactly what this book would be about. But I really enjoyed it a lot. I need book two now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Evolution of Ivy.

January 30, 2017 – Shelved
March 27, 2017 –
March 27, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 5, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites-2017
October 29, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-bnb-reading-challenge

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Jacqueline's Reads great review!

Jennifer Jacqueline's Reads wrote: "great review!"

Thank you. I see a cover and date are now showing for book 2.