Aj the Ravenous Reader's Reviews > Illuminae

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman

No wonder people keep gushing about this amazing book. I couldn’t believe I’ll like it this much considering I’m not a hardcore sci-fi reader. Truth is Illuminae intimidated me at first when I scanned the pages before reading. The technical format foreboded heavy science facts but I was wrong. The format is actually what I think I enjoyed most about the book, enjoyed literally every page. This is how you’re supposed to enjoy a book- held it in different positions possible: flipped, sideways, rotated. It was just so much fun.

The creativity is endless, the plot twists surprising, the humor extremely hilarious and the romance just adorable. It’s everything I want in a sci-fi/dystopia book. I find the plot even though it may not be very unique (a girl and a boy pretending to be not but are really in love with each other are separated by an intergalactic war, a virus rendering afflicted persons as good as zombies and a crazy, malfunctioning super robot called Aidan still do everything to be together) very gripping and I just could not stop reading. Well admittedly I considered stopping when I thought the ending was going to be an unacceptable tragedy. (Glad I didn’t let Kady or Aidan fool me^^).

But really, I’m only kidding myself. Tragic end or not, there was no way I wasn’t going to finish the book. Honestly, I was slowly losing my faith in sci-fi-dystopia books especially those in a series but I’m so glad I finally read this book. My faith is renewed. I’m looking forward to reading Gemina.

I ship Kady and Ezra so bad! I had to imagine them through a gif.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illuminae.

January 29, 2017 – Shelved
June 20, 2017 – Shelved as: sci-fi
June 20, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 13, 2019 – Shelved as: five-stars
May 13, 2019 – Shelved as: unexpectedly-good

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson I'm so glad you loved this book, Aj! I've heard so many good things about it! Great review! :)

message 2: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Another great review, AJ! :)

message 3: by Beatrice (new) - added it

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Awesome review, Ate AJ! This is on my TBR for a while now, I need to read this soon before the third book comes out. 😊💕

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom Lewis I just bought it based on your review and recommendation! =)

Mac Dubista Keso The Bibliobibuli v(=∩_∩=) Wow! Since you end up giving this one 5 stars, I'll read this one of this days! Awesome review Aj! Missyou! :)

message 6: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Another review convincing me that I need this book in my life!! So glad you loved it AJ :)

message 7: by Mathu (new) - added it

Mathu Lovely review as usual Aj :)) this book's been sitting on the shelf of my ebook reader for very long, I'll have to read it one of these days:)))

message 8: by Pearl (new)

Pearl Angeli This book creates such a buzz that I'm already tempted to read this haha! Glad you enjoyed it, AJ dear. Love the review! 🤗

message 9: by Katerina (new) - added it

Katerina Great review, Aj! I've been wanting to read this one for a while! :D

Books are TARDIS You LOVED it. You LOVED it. You LOVED it.

This book is everything to me. I love Kady and Ezra like crazy, like nothing else. I even love Aidan, bad robot that he is. It's such a happy day for me to read this brilliant glowing review from you Aj *fist pump*

message 11: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Illuminating review, Aj ;)

message 12: by Pinky (new) - added it

Pinky Awesome review! I wanted to read this for so long and I don't know why i haven't read it yet.

message 13: by Daiane (new)

Daiane awesome review AJ <3
I just bought the hardcover edition so I'm excited for it :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Ate Jen: I really did, Ate Jen. It was so unexpected. Thank you so much. <3

Ate Deanna: Thank you so much, Dear Ate Deanna. <3

Beatrice: Yes, you do, Bea! Thank you so much. <3

Tom: Yay! I hope it doesn’t disappoint. Yikes! ;)

Mac: Yay! I hope you like it too, Mac. Lately our preferences don’t match much but I hope you still like this too. Miss you too, girl. ;)

Christina: Aw, that’s so sweet of you to say, Christina. Thank you so much. <3

Mathu: Thank you so much, lovely Mathu. I hope you get to read it soon. <3

Pearl: Haha, I’m glad you’re tempted, Pearly. Thank you so much. <3

Kat: Thank you so much, gorgeous. I hope you end up liking it as much as I did. <3

Fai: Omg, I did! I didn’t expect it but I ended up falling in love with everything about the book especially Aidan. Lol. *fist pump* Oh and I love the Friends gif. Ross is hilarious. Haha. I think I’m gonna treat myself to one or two episodes later even though I’ve seen all episodes around three or more times already. Lol.

Kuya Alejandro: Haha! Thank you so much, kuya! ;)

Pinky: Thank you so much, sweetie. I hope you get to chance to read this too. It was so much fun. ;)

Daiane: Thank you, Daiane and hello! Glad to see you here and gladder that you bought the hardcover. I waited two years to get my hands on a hardcopy too and it was worth the wait. Looking forward to your review. ;)

Books are TARDIS Hahaha, you are a bad robot too. I always fall into these watching my favorite shows again traps at the barest mention of them. We are all Aidan, lol. Gosh, I'm itching to re-read these books now. I LOVE the format of this book so much. And the funny banter *melts into a puddle of gooey adoration*

message 16: by Tamara (new) - added it

Tamara I guess I shall finally add this to my TBR list!

Candace Wonderful review, Aj! I agree wth you completely about the format. It was definitely different and took some getting used to, but ended up being the thing that made it a stand-out for me. :)

AJ (the.booknerd.reads) Glad you enjoyed this so much! It's one of my very favorites!! :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Fai: Haha, yes I am, Fai. One of my friends suggested rereading the book as audio-book format. She says it makes the experience three times as fun. I hear it's going to be a movie?

Tamara: Yes you should, Tammy! :) <3

Candace: Thank you so much, Candace. It was really intimidating at first but when I got the hang of it, I found it really creative and adorable. I'm glad we agree. <3

AJ: Yay! High five! :)

Fabian {Councillor} This sounds so awesome! I'm happy to read that you enjoyed it so much. Great review, Aj :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Fabian: It is, my friend. Thank you so much and welcome back :)