Elaine's Reviews > Playing the Player

Playing the Player by Amy Andrews

32020643

bookshelves: 2017, adult, australia, australian, contemporary, contemporary-romance, romance, series

I’d enjoyed other stories in this series but was wary of this one as the main male character is Lincoln Quinn (aka Linc), a self confessed manwhore and betting man. When the first chapter has him agreeing to something which made him seem a self-opinionated, disrespectful jerk, well, it seemed my caution had been justified. Then, however, Amy Andrews steps in and weaves her word magic and turns the story all around and he becomes the adorable, admirable reformed rake! Phew!!

High school science teacher, Em Newman, has had enough of jerks, especially sporting ones, so really doesn’t want to fall for any of the Sydney Smoke Rugby players, even though her best friend, Harper, has married one of them. She certainly doesn’t want to have anything to do with Linc - she’s heard all about his manwhore reputation! However, Linc falls hard for Em and is determined to win her over - and he’s difficult to resist! There are plenty of problems ahead, challenges to be met and tough loving advice to be given (by Harper to Em) as well as Em’s full name to be revealed!

This is an extremely hot and steamy romance with a strong male lead brought to earth and rocketed skyward by love. The storyline is engaging and there are plenty of twists and turns to enable the author to impose her own stamp on the proceedings. It involves many of the characters from the earlier books in the series - ‘Playing By Her Rules’ and ‘Playing it Cool’ - and it is great to see how their relationships continue to develop. Despite this, I believe it can still be read as a standalone.

I love the glossary at the end of the book, where the author defines many Aussie terms in her own inimitable way! If you like your romances hot and steamy with a hunky male lead finding love changes his attitudes and behaviour, you’ll probably love this.

Many thanks to the publishers who gifted me a copy of this book through NetGalley without any obligations. This is my honest review after choosing to read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing the Player.

January 28, 2017 – Started Reading