Blueberry's Reviews > The Pianist: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Survival in Warsaw, 1939–45

The Pianist by Władysław Szpilman

bookshelves: autobiography-biography, nonfiction, classics, books-to-movies, war, travel-cultures

Not sure how to rate this. It seems insensitive to say things like: it was a good read about the horrors of the holocaust. The horrors seemed more in my interpreting the obvious since the author wrote of his time in the Warsaw ghetto with almost indifference, as in just a narrative. Also in the beginning when there were rumors of the actions of the Germans, Poles and Jews were volunteering to go fight, he chose to stay home with his parents and brother and sister. I didn't respect him for that. The book paints a picture for us of the time in the Warsaw Ghetto with people being shot and killed, the streets being blocked off and guarded by soldiers and the neighborhoods getting smaller and tighter without the remaining residents having knowledge of the death camps, incinerators, or the knowledge of what was happening to their disappearing friends and families.
The book gave me good incite and appreciation into what was happening in Warsaw during WW2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pianist.

Started Reading