Eryn's Reviews > Legendary

Legendary by Stephanie Garber

bookshelves: cover-love, owned, reviewed, 5-stars, all-time-favorites, fantasy, fiction, imaginative, original-idea, romance, young-adult, memorable-characters
Read 2 times. Last read May 4, 2019 to May 10, 2019.

Re-read in 2019: I still freaking love this book. It's incredibly magical.
_________________________________________
**Warning: this text may contain spoilers** ★ 4.5 / 5 ★

What a magical, whimsical, lovely second book to this series! Stephanie Garber has a story-telling gift and ya’ll are missing out if you haven’t already read Caraval.

As someone who loved Caraval, I was nervous to start Legendary, because often times I’m disappointed by the sequel in a series—well, folks, that wasn’t the case here! This book was so marvelous that I didn’t mind reading in Tella’s perspective (I say that because I loved Scarlett’s POV); in fact, I might even say that I preferred it. But honestly, I love both Scarlett and Tella; so I’m fine reading in either of their perspectives. It’s books like these that make me wish I had a sister.

Because I feel like I haven’t said this enough to my friends today (the ones that would listen): Legendary seriously blew my mind. The writing, of course, was flawless and smooth; it’s practically like butter for your mind (without the unhealthiness).

The characters, too, are mysterious and magical and wonderful. I loved getting to know more about Caraval’s actors/actresses; it was a real ride.

Okay, so, ehem, Dante is mine (sorry, Tella). I already mentioned that in one of my updates, but I’m repeating myself so people don’t forget. I mean, I liked him in Caraval but I loved him in Legendary. He’s dark and gritty and a walking secret; I can’t wait to learn more about him in book three!

Surprisingly, Jacks is a close second, after Dante (of course). When he was introduced to Tella I sensed he was purposefully being presented as this novel's cruel character. I say “purposefully” because when Jacks was introduced I could tell Stephanie Garber was trying to make the reader dislike him … which usually means you’ll end up loving him. So even though I expected to end up liking Jacks, I was pleased how naturally it happened. I also think he’s just playing the villainous role and is good/caring inside. I'd still date him bad or good though.

For anyone curious, I took a half-star off because there were some things I suspected early on, which ended up being right. I was hoping it would be a little harder to put things together.

Overall, there is so much more I want to write about (like Julian and Scarlett and their cute relationship…and all the other thingssss that were revealed), but because I don’t want to risk giving away more than I might’ve, I’ll stop here. But, let it be known, this is a phenomenal series and I can’t wait for book three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legendary.

January 29, 2017 – Shelved
page 0
0.0% "IT BEGINS."
June 10, 2018 –
page 56
12.42% "Oh wow, I really like Tella. I was worried I wouldn't, but she's awesome!"
June 12, 2018 –
page 144
31.93% "Why do I love Dante all of a sudden??❤ & Tella is such a boss"
June 14, 2018 –
page 200
44.35% "If I wasn't taking 3 summer classes, I would've finished this in less than 2 days... 'CAUSE I AM LOVING EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS"
June 18, 2018 –
page 339
75.17% "Dante is mine. I called him"
June 19, 2018 –
page 412
91.35% "I don't want to have to wait a whole year for the next book!"
June 19, 2018 –
page 451
100.0% "I DEMAND THE THIRD BOOK, RIGHT NOW."
June 19, 2018 – Shelved as: 5-stars
May 4, 2019 – Started Reading
May 4, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 4, 2019 –
page 0
0.0% "TIME TO RE-READ THIS FOR FINALE"
May 6, 2019 –
page 67
May 7, 2019 –
page 135
29.93% "Even though this is a reread, everything is so magical 💫"
May 7, 2019 –
page 200
44.35% "Dante's the best 👌🏼"
May 8, 2019 –
page 299
66.3% "Slay girl, slayyy"
May 9, 2019 –
page 400
May 10, 2019 –
page 451
100.0% "STILL SHAKES ME, AHH. Gotta start Finale rn 😬"
May 10, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Larissa Is Reading Me too! 6 more days 😱

Eryn @Larissa I KNOW😁

The Bookish Reader I'm so excited for this book!!!!!!!!! I'll scream for you, *ahem* AHHHHHHHHHHH :D

Eryn The Bookish Reader wrote: "I'm so excited for this book!!!!!!!!! I'll scream for you, *ahem* AHHHHHHHHHHH :D"

Hahahaha, thanks ;)

message 5: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam toer I am joining the SCREAMFEST AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Callie (BeverageandBook) Great review! Legendary was definitely one of my favorite reads this year.

Emily Amazing review! I agree with basically everything you said. 😂 I can’t wait for Finale!!!!

Eryn @Callie THANK YOU☺

Eryn @Emily Neither can I! It's going to be a long wait :'(

Aidan I didn’t read the review (#nospoilers) but I’m impressed you gave it 5 Stars as Caraval was so mixed in its reviews

message 11: by Eryn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eryn @Aidan Yeah, I was one of the first people to read Caraval when it came out, so I was kind of sad when I noticed that a lot of the reviews after me were mixed. Still, I love this series!

Kaycee Bowick (Off_The_Press) Great review! I totally agree... Dante was quite the attraction in this novel..

message 13: by Eryn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eryn @Kaycee Wasn't he? I thought he was great💕

message 14: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review!!!

message 15: by Eryn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eryn @Deanna Thank you very much!

message 16: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review!💖😉

message 17: by Eryn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eryn @Kat Awh, thank you :-)