Ctgt's Reviews > Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

I highly recommend listening to the audio version as Trevor Noah does a fantastic job of narrating his own story. Whenever you read a memoir you're hoping to pick up some nuances of a situation that you can't get from reading a history or news article about the same time period, incident or life in question. While I certainly learned some interesting factoids about growing up in the Apartheid era it didn't really hit me until he related an incident with his dance group and a friend Hitler (just hearing the reasoning for the name was fascinating). I was thinking how could you not know? And he explained exactly how it happened and in that instant it was obvious to me that no matter how sympathetic or empathetic I may want to be I will never truly understand what these people went through and what they did to survive. I can read about it, I can study it but will never really know. Most of us have known this intellectually most of our lives but for whatever reason this moment really drove the point home for me personally.

10/10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born a Crime.

January 28, 2017 – Started Reading