Randy's Reviews > Me Talk Pretty One Day

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Mar 29, 2008

bookshelves: humor
Read in March, 2008

This book is a perfect light read for people who take the quality of their literary consumption way too seriously. The content borders on frivolous at times, but the dude can write, and he'll make you laugh, and I say that as someone who doesn't laugh out loud very often when my nose is stuck in a book.

Irony, self-deprecation, and hyperbolic exaggerations are frequently mined for comedic effect in today's cultural climate, but Sedaris is definitely one of the best. He's like a cross between Dave Berry and Vonnegut. Not many authors can take something completely banal and idiosyncratic from their lives--a dad's annoying quirk, or a history of pet ownership--and turn it into something compelling, but he continually does it.

I banged this book out in about three hours while flying, chuckling under my breath every thirty seconds and drawing glares from the serious-minded passengers with their nose stuck in Oprah's latest selection. Having spent the past two and a half months reading nothing but dense sociological treatises, the timing was perfect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Talk Pretty One Day.