Kristin's Reviews > The Big Wet Balloon

The Big Wet Balloon by Liniers

bookshelves: international-lit

Source: Goodreads Book List; accessed the text via YouTube

The Big Wet Balloon is a cute story about two sisters that is formatted as a cartoon strip. The older sister, Matilda, wants to share her love of the rain with her little sister Clemmie. She tries to teach her how to enjoy playing in the rain. At first, Clemmie does not want to get wet, but Matilda soon shows her how much fun it can be. They splash in puddles, run around, catch raindrops in their mouth, and look for worms.

This book would be appropriate for primary students, as well as even some older reluctant readers. Students will enjoy reading the detailed pictures. They should be able to relate to a rainy day and enjoy the themes of sisterhood and friendship. It would work well with having kids partner read and work on their fluency and expression while reading aloud.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Wet Balloon.

Finished Reading
January 28, 2017 – Shelved
January 28, 2017 – Shelved as: international-lit

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Juliann (new)

Juliann Strieter Hi Kristin,
Thanks for sharing your review about The Big Wet Balloon. This book sounds adorable! You are so right, I think it would be appropriate for primary students and some reluctant readers (maybe in 3rd-4th grade?) It sounds like the the detailed pictures would also appeal to this age group.
I would love to check this book out and use it for some of my 6th grade students who are reading at about a 2nd grade level. as you mentioned, it would be a fun read (especially for my female students) where they can practice fluency authentically.

Kristin Thanks for your comment! I also think that this could be a good way to begin to introduce students to different types of fiction and to start to expose them to graphic novels.

Ruth Kristin, What is your opinion of the digital format (youtube video) for this text? I have the book in regular form and love it that way, so am curious as to your experience reading it (or having it read to you?) on the video.