Wayne McCoy's Reviews > City of Wolves

City of Wolves by Willow Palecek

liked it

'City of Wolves' by Willow Palecek is a pretty decent fantasy novella. The lead is a decent detective, and one I wouldn't mind reading more of.

Alexander Drake is an investigator for hire in a pre-industrial world. He doesn't like to work for the rich, but this is exactly what he is called to do. When the head of a family dies suddenly and violently, he is called in to find out what happened, and, more importantly, to find the missing will. That the man was found naked and wounded outside his bedroom window is a very curious thing. There are werewolves about and Alexander finds himself threatened, but werewolves aren't the only things he has to fear.

At a little under 100 pages, it's a quick enough read. There are plenty of the usual tropes along with a likable enough lead character. I don't know if it's planned for this to be an ongoing series, but this wasn't a bad first outing.

I received a review copy of this ebook from Macmillan-Tor/Forge and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Wolves.

July 19, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
July 19, 2016 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
January 27, 2017 – Started Reading