WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker's Reviews > Indigo

Indigo by Beverly Jenkins

bookshelves: america, historical, non-series

I did a buddy read for this over on BookLikes, for all my discussions, comments, and quotes:
Prologue - Ch 4
Chs 5-10
Chs 11-16
Chs 17-end

I've read a couple other Jenkins' books, this was my favorite. I loved all the historical references, tidbits, and weaving in that she did; I can't even tell how many hours I spent learning about people, places, and events she included. Galen was a roguish character that I probably let his charm get him off the hook, he was pushy and I wasn't a fan of how he forced Hester into finally agreeing to marry him. Hester was an amazing heroine, strong, soft, smart, and willing to give as good as she got. I enjoyed their banter in the beginning and could see how they fit together in the end.
I would say the only way this shows its age is in the sex scenes. While I liked how penetrative sex wasn't their immediately go to, the wording in sex scenes was a bit flowery for me.
The world building and secondary characters were amazing and I can't even tell you all the side characters I wish had their own stories or novellas.
This is a must read for historical romance readers, the history woven in is what we all come for and Hester and Galen were strong, sweet, and loving.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indigo.

January 27, 2017 – Shelved
January 27, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 17, 2019 – Started Reading
April 17, 2019 –
10.0% "Verbal sparring that is never cruel or mean but sassy jabbing with some funny wit. The banter is starting to melt into sexual heat/tension and with the historical details and people woven in (history in a historical!), I'm loving this one so far.

More comments & quotes - BookLikes Buddy Read Indigo"
April 23, 2019 –
40.0% ""We were children and until that moment Ella and I had never been ashamed of our life, because it was the only life we'd known. That night, Dot sat us both down and told us the truth about our lives and how the world viewed us. I never forgot it."

In all the Jenkins' books I've read, she always does this, weave hard emotions and truths into big and little moments that put a hitch in your heart."
April 27, 2019 –
70.0% "He was dressed in a coat of indigo velvet.

Oh man, I live for lines like this! It ties in the title which I always nerd-ly like and is a seemingly innocuous heart growing moment. Definitely a showing moment instead of telling of how important Hester is to Galen. Loved it.

More comments/quotes: Buddy Read Indigo"
May 4, 2019 – Shelved as: america
May 4, 2019 – Shelved as: historical
May 4, 2019 – Shelved as: non-series
May 4, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Sam (AMNReader) Ah, I see now!! Jamal in You Sang to Me was pushy too. :/

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker I see that was published in 2019, I don't think I remember the other Jenkins' books I read having such a pushy hero. Galen was smooth and roguish enough that I let it slide a bit, but I'm immediately bad in that area of allowance at times.

Sam (AMNReader) It was a novella... So maybe it was a way to force the issue, but it made for a super lovable heroine

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Awesome review!💖😉

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Thanks, enjoy the rest of the weekend!