Amy's Reviews > I Am Ozzy

I Am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne

Jul 25, 2011

Read in March, 2010

This is it, the life story of Ozzy, or at least as much as he remembers. He starts off from his life growing up in Aston with parents who had no money and a school system that was more than happy to riducule the "stupid" kid (years later he was diagnosed with Dyslexia and ADD). After a stint in prison and a sucession of low-paying physically demanding jobs, Ozzy decided music was his only way out of town. Tony Iommy and Bill Ward were looking for a singer, Ozzy had a PA and knew Geezer Bulter, a guitarist who might be willing to switch to bass. And the rest is rock and roll history.

Or not. The best part about this book is that Ozzy doesn't pull any punches. His stories are funny, shocking, heartbreaking, but most of all, honest. Did he bite the head off a dove as a publicity stunt? Yes. Does he regret killing an animal? Yes. The man has done a lot of things he's not proud of but he understands his mistakes make him who he is.

And one of his biggest mistakes is drugs. But again, he doesn't gloss over the worst of the drugs or alcohol. The man was sick for a long time and will always struggle, just like so many other addicts. The miracle of the story is that the man is still alive and has been able to start anew by being a father to all five of his children and a real husband to Sharon, who I think only stuck by him out of sheer stubbornness.

Is this book a literary classic? Not at all. It reads more like someone just wrote down Ozzy's stories, vernacular,curses, and all. And that's what makes the book so interesting. The man has always been a great storyteller, and I hope the good Ozzy will be with us for years to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Ozzy.