Aleksandra's Reviews > Perihelion

Perihelion by Tami Veldura

bookshelves: dnf

DNF @ 30%

I am starting new year by implementing the golden rule of “DNF the book you don’t want to read”.
I tried, but this book just didn’t work for me. I came back home and I was literally bracing myself to read the book. Why bother?
Exactly. So I’m dropping the book like hot potatoes.

The book is messy and confusing and convoluted. The narration introduces all of this world-building elements, dozen of new characters, some kind of political and economic machinations in a span of 30 pages without bothering to pause and explain. I was confused and annoyed and it’s a very unpleasant reading experience. The book is also not divided into chapters. There are pov breaks but it feels like a stream of narration.

If you ask me what’s the book is about I would say there are space ships??? So it’s a sci-fi. Sentient space ship and also war(s?) Big corporations fight against each other. What corporations? Who are on the side of the protagonists? So many names were dropped like how am I supposed to remember them? Who are the protagonists?
I believe two guys who became copilots of the ship are protagonists, I think. Both of them are men of color; I believe one of them is trans man, but don’t quote me on it. Also he has a hijabi subordinate, which was cool.
But no number of diverse characters was able to save the disaster that was the narration and plot composition.

No rating because it’s a DNF.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perihelion.

January 27, 2017 – Shelved
January 27, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
January 10, 2019 –
page 1
0.66% "it's been three thousand years since i read scifi book, let's do itttt"
January 11, 2019 – Started Reading
January 11, 2019 –
page 31
20.53% "this is so convoluted and messy I’m ???"
January 12, 2019 –
page 47
31.13% "still very messy and confusing; a lot of world-building elements are thrown at the reader with barely zero explanation or time to get familiar with the world."
January 12, 2019 – Shelved as: dnf
January 12, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by iam (new) - rated it 5 stars

iam a good rule for the new year💪🏽

message 2: by Aleksandra (new) - added it

Aleksandra iam wrote: "a good rule for the new year💪🏽"

i'm trying to stop being a hypocrite and do as i always advise everybody else lol

message 3: by iam (new) - rated it 5 stars

iam ikr but I also rly hate seeing my DNF shelf counter go higher and higher.....