Melody's Reviews > The Enchanted Swans

The Enchanted Swans by Christy Nicholas

Jan 31, 2017

Overall Score: 4.5/5 Stars. I received an Advance Reader Copy of the book, and this is my personal review.

I'll keep this spoiler-free for everyone!

First, I’ll say that this book is dense, but in all the best ways. Dense with character, dense with feeling, dense with Irish lore, and pleasingly dense with description. It’s told in First Person, so where you lose that omnipotent level of description, you gain Fionnuala’s (or Nuala, for short) personal insights, which are varied and vast. And speaking of Irish lore, this story uses lots of Irish Gaelic wording and names, but never fear: there’s a handy-dandy Glossary tucked into the back of the book.

There’s so much good stuff to touch on here: such a faithfulness to Irish mythology and legend that it very much reminded me of reading the original stories; discussing the hierarchy of magic, Druids and Bards, which, even when done in passing, are absolutely fascinating; ravens that are connected to each of those royal children whose veins run with Fae blood… and of course, I can’t not mention the fact that, yes, Nuala and her brothers must learn to navigate their lives as swans, which the author navigates with a careful hand, never allowing comfort to be too big a part of the equation.

Like most Historical & Epic-style fantasies, The Enchanted Swans is a slow burn. The author’s writing style is smooth and lyrical as it needs to be; you can almost hear the clanging of swords as the children practice their techniques, or feel the beating of a raven’s wing as it comes to rest on one’s shoulder. You can sense magic swirling around you, just as it does to the characters.

And the ending made me cry, which is a rare thing indeed.

In short, this beautiful tale made my heart ache a little; where it soothed a deep desire for a different world and a different sort of story, it created another desire, a longing for something– somewhere– wild and beautiful and green.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchanted Swans.

January 26, 2017 – Started Reading