Ginger's Reviews > Love Warrior

Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton

liked it
bookshelves: book-club, 2017, library-book

I didn’t expect to finish this book so fast. I’m not a fan of memoirs or autobiographies but this was great! I would not have picked this book up if it wasn’t for my book club. Shout out to my book club for broadening my horizon! I’m so glad they choose this one for the month. This book was raw, beautiful and powerful. It’s incredibly deep in many areas of life; trying to be your authentic self, learning how to communicate in an honest way to escaping into substance abuse, bulimia or meaningless sex.

It’s hard for me to give a great review on this book. There were times when I could not relate with some of the subjects the author was talking about in this book including bulimia, not enjoying sex to alcoholism.
But then I would get to a part in the book that talked about grief and it consumed me. I felt like she was speaking directly to me. In a two-year span of my life, my brother and Dad both died in tragic and devastating ways. She was describing exactly what I went through at that time in my life.

Another subject that I could relate with was how much I hate religion but love spirituality. I can be closer to God up on a mountain hiking trail, watching the waves come in from the Pacific Ocean or counting shooting stars while camping in the North Cascades. I have never felt God when I went to church as a kid.

In conclusion, I honestly think it will affect each reader in a different way when they read this book. If you've struggled with intimacy issues, marital issues, shame, or fear of honesty, this book is a must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Warrior.

January 26, 2017 – Shelved
January 26, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 12, 2017 – Started Reading
February 13, 2017 –
6.0% "Finally reading my book club book for the month."
February 13, 2017 –
26.0% "Bulimia, alcoholism and trying to be your authentic self. Heavy topics in this book."
February 15, 2017 –
41.0% ""Truth telling becomes my shame checker and my relief.""
February 16, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 26, 2018 – Shelved as: book-club
February 26, 2018 – Shelved as: 2017
August 1, 2018 – Shelved as: library-book

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Mansuriah (new)

Mansuriah Hassan Nice review, Ginger. 5 stars! Sounds like a good book to me :)

Ginger Mansuriah wrote: "Nice review, Ginger. 5 stars! Sounds like a good book to me :)"

Thanks Mansuriah!

Kimberly Meserve Nice review, I absolutely hated this book and couldn’t understand how people loved this, but this helped me understand what people could get out of it.

Ginger Kimberly Meserve wrote: "Nice review, I absolutely hated this book and couldn’t understand how people loved this, but this helped me understand what people could get out of it."

Thanks Kimberly! I tried to get something out of it but I can completely understand why you hated it.
There were things that I couldn't relate to and she was very "victim" like in her thoughts.