Timeastan.Books's Reviews > Empire of Storms

Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas

U 50x66

Read 2 times. Last read January 1, 2017.

image: REVIEW: Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas

I am a little late to the party with Empire of Storms. I waited wth baited breath for release announcements but, as often happens, life got in the way and I only managed to finish it over the Christmas break. So for any of you who are in the same boat, have weathered the hype and are wondering whether it's too late to get into the latest installment of the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, keep reading to find out why it's worth it.

Style and Substance (SPOILER FREE)

Sarah J. Maas's writing style is beautifully descriptive, evoking rich settings and an almost palpable atmosphere. This is very much in keeping with the epic fantasy genre but isn't to everyone's liking. Those who like sparser, minimal writing won't find any of that within the pages of Empire of Storms. Having said that, the run-on sentences, elipses, multiple adjectives and adverbs of A Court of Thorns and Roses and A Court of Mist and Fury have been significantly pared down in this book. The writing is tighter and easier to read, which surely is a sign of Sarah's developing skills as a writer with each new book she puts out.

Maas has developed a complex plot with many moving parts and a detailed world with a variety of actors, each with their own agendas, in the way of the best epic fantasies. Empire of Storms gives us a broader look into the different nations, peoples and political machinations of Maas's imagined world. I'm always curious whether the various subplots are developed by the author from the very beginning or whether they grow organically as the author discovers the story through writing. Since Sarah J. Maas has been writing the Throne of Glass series since the age of 16, she has had more than enough time to weave a story of satisfying complexity.

And to those of you who are a little worried the detailed world building would make the story clunky, do not fear - though there is description aplenty, the story does not lag. The pace is relentless and each chapter is taught with tension, action and challenges aplenty for our favourite characters. You will be hard-pressed to find a lull in which to take a breather. There's a little slow-down toward the end of the book, but the slow build makes the heart-rending finale all the more impactful.

I recommend Empire of Storms for lovers of epic fantasy, young adult fantasy, and romantic fantasy.

To read the rest of this review including my spoilery discussion of what I loved and didn't love, visit my blog at: https://timeastanbooks.com/2017/01/26...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of Storms.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading
January 1, 2017 – Finished Reading
January 25, 2017 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
January 25, 2017 – Shelved