Brenda's Reviews > A Little Bush Maid

A Little Bush Maid by Mary Grant Bruce

Twelve-year-old Norah Linton had lived on Billabong, the family’s cattle property in northern Victoria, all her life. She and her brother Jim along with their father worked the land, with the help of several others. Norah thought her life couldn’t be better. She and her pony Bobs were inseparable; she learned much by her father’s side during the time Jim was off at school.

Holidays brought Jim and two mates, Wally and Harry back to Billabong and the antics, adventures and fun they had caused much laughter and entertainment. Fishing was another activity they all enjoyed and the day trip on horseback to Anglers’ Bend brought surprises aplenty…and maybe a little trouble.

Originally published in 1910, A Little Bush Maid (1st in the Billabong series) by Aussie author Mary Grant Bruce is a timely Australian classic. Set in the vast bushland of country Victoria, the story of Norah and her brother is reminiscent of country children Australia wide. I know I enjoyed the same kind of days when we lived on my Grandmother’s farm when I was young, along with my siblings and our friends and cousins. There was always fun to be had – we made our own and we always slept well after the activities of the day. Yes, A Little Bush Maid is dated – but it’s well worth the read in my opinion. Highly recommended.

Free to download from Project Gutenburg - http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8730

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Little Bush Maid.

January 25, 2017 – Shelved
January 25, 2017 – Shelved as: own-to-read-on-kindle
May 8, 2018 – Shelved as: 5000-books
May 9, 2018 – Started Reading
May 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary This was my favourite series as a child and I still own all the books. I used to reread the series at least once a decade in order to revisit with old friends.

Brenda I don't recall reading this before Mary 😊 I could have but it would be a very long time ago!

message 3: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Brenda wrote: "I don't recall reading this before Mary 😊 I could have but it would be a very long time ago!"

Well it was definitely a long time ago when I read it for the first time! Lol.

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Great review, Brenda!

Brenda Thanks Diane :)

message 7: by Ileana (new)

Ileana Dominguez-Urban At this time Gutenberg apparently also has two other Bailabong stories: Back to Bilabong & Mates at Bilabong, along with 3 other Aussie tales by Mary Grant Bruce and what appears to be a collection of Aboriginal/Native Tales.

Brenda Thanks Ileana - I also found Captain Jim there as well; #6 in the series :)

message 9: by Kerrie (new)

Kerrie Paterson Oh I loved those books when I was a kid!!

Brenda It's good to be able to pick them up, reworked as an ebook :)