Marzie's Reviews > Full Fathom Five

Full Fathom Five by Max Gladstone

Read 2 times. Last read March 22, 2018 to March 25, 2018.

From my 2017 reading:

My favorite of The Craft Sequence thus far, I loved Full Fathom Five for its four (full five, if we count Elayne) strong female characters who, though they came from differing perspectives, worked collaboratively to effectively problem solve, in addition to talking with each other about their philosophies, lives and not guys. What a concept!

There are enough summaries of this book out there that review readers probably don't need another review detailing the basic premise of the novel. What I can give you is a description of why Kai Pohala and this novel were so striking to me. Kai is one of the least angst-y transgender characters that I have had the pleasure of reading. She is happy with herself and, instead of suffering about being transgender, is working on regular things, like heartache and questions over the breakup of a long-term relationship, and worrying about justice for her community and some of her company's creations. This made me so happy, I can't tell you.

The other central female characters, Izza, Cat, Teo, and of course, Elayne Kevarian, who is like a thread woven through each of these books, each embody strengths, and, in some cases, poignant vulnerabilities. Splendid character diversity here. I'm also fascinated by Mako's backstory and wonder if we will learn more of him.

The world building in The Craft Sequence has gained further depth in this story set in Kavekana. Of all the things I've read thus far in the Craft world, the Penitents are some of the most harrowing forms of magic Max Gladstone has created. The imagination on display, as we tour the various parts of the Craft world- from Alt Coulomb to Dresediel Lex to Kavekana- is truly amazing.

Looking forward to moving forward in the Craft World! Though, most of all, I look ahead to Ruin of Angels, which publishes in September, with more Kai and hopefully Izza!

My 2018 reading:

This book remains my favorite in the series (I still haven't read Ruin of Angels. I'm saving it!). I love the female character diversity in this book. Each of these characters is drawn with such detail, and complexity of motivation. They are such strong women. I adore Kai and hopefully, this is the book that convinces readers that Elayne Kevarian is a relatively benevolent truthseeker.

The threefold balance between gods, deathless kings and idols is an interesting construct. The backstory that gets us to this point, told in the two subsequent books, is bound to be an interesting exploration for the reader.

I wish I could again ask Tor Why are there no audiobooks for this full series?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Fathom Five.

January 25, 2017 – Shelved