Maggie's Reviews > Hard Rhythm

Hard Rhythm by Cecilia Tan

F 50x66

Read January 23-25, 2017

Hard Rhythm - Cecilia Tan

Published by Hachette Book Group Inc.

Secrets of a Rock Star Series

ARC received on NetGalley

4.5/5 stars

Hard Rhythm started out as one of the flat out sexiest, hottest books I’ve ever read. I read a lot, usually finishing at least 2, but usually upwards of 4 books a week. The story (and sex) of Madison and Chino turned me on in a way that is pretty uncommon for me. At the start.

About halfway through, our sexy, smart, couple with chemistry out the wazoo turned into a Daddy/girl relationship and I noped right out of there. It’s like there were two books smushed together. Madison still remained a smart, sexy woman, but the story lost some of it’s lustre for me. My kink isn’t your kink and that’s ok though, right? I have no issue with Daddy/girl relationships, but it was totally out of the blue for me, and there wasn’t any indication about the nature of their relationship on the book blurb. When I was reading the first half, it didn’t read to me like this would turn into a Daddy/girl relationship, and that’s ok. It showed me that things aren’t always what they seem, that there can be so much more, and that stereotypes are just that!

One thing that impressed me so much, and the reason that this book is 4.5 stars for me is the way that the author deals with all of the limits, domestic abuse accusations, real domestic abuse, and safe words. It’s done incredibly well. Cecilia Tan has written a guide to what a proper BDSM relationship should look like, and she covers all different sorts of relationships, with all different sorts of limits. She discusses in depth what the difference between BDSM and abuse is, and she has a whole section on abuse, accessing the abuse hotline, and how to ask for help. Madison and Chino are the very picture of a safe, consensual relationship. They practice safe words, they have limits, they use condoms every time. Sometimes the condoms come off, or the scene gets awkward - and that’s talked about. Hard Rhythm is so significantly different than other “popular” BDSM novels. It’s definitely a must read.

I would love to catch up with Madison and Chino in the future, there’s so many characters in their book that I want to know more about. There are relationships that I want to see explored more.

I am thrilled to have been given the chance to read Hard Rhythm. It was on my to-read list, and to be able to receive it as a NetGalley ARC was wonderful. I highly recommend this book. The sex is smoking hot, the BDSM is written appropriately, and it’s amazing to have read a book that surprised me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard Rhythm.

Finished Reading