ladydusk's Reviews > The Bronze Bow

The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare

Jul 25, 2011

bookshelves: family-read-aloud

Own.

I'm one of those big dummies who doesn't pre-read very often. In this case, not only did I not pre-read, I also didn't really read any reviews. It worked out pretty well for me this time, even though I would not have read this to my 7, 6, and 4 year olds had I done so.

We all enjoyed the story of love and redemption. This week, we got going after a bit and pushed our way to the end. The writing is lovely (as you'd imagine from Speare).

The only reason I gave it four is because Jesus is a character in the story. Most of the time, it is pretty much direct quotations from the Bible. Especially toward the end, though, Jesus talks and moves the plot forward. I, personally, have issues with novelizations of Bible stories or people ... especially the Lord.

There were also some themes regarding men-women relationships that surprised me. I was able to edit to de-emphasize them a bit with my small children, which I wouldn't have done so if they were a bit older.

Overall, though, we absolutely loved the story, the characters, the discussions it invoked.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bronze Bow.

Elaine This is good to read, as I recently started this book as a read-aloud and I haven't read it myself first! I'm reading it to my 11 year old, though, so I think we can probably talk through the issues you raise. Thanks for the review.
Elaine