Xan West's Reviews > Double Exposure

Double Exposure by Chelsea M. Cameron

Cute and fluffy.

Not a lot of meat to it, in terms of characterization. Was hoping to care more about the characters as people & as a couple. Was also hoping to care more about the queer cafe setting and chosen family, but it just didn't get deep enough for me.

That said, it's the first trans f/cis f romance I've read that doesn't feel super soaked in cissexism and I really appreciate that it exists in the world. It is very much a book that's NOT about the trans character's transness, which I also appreciate. The cis MC is also not new to dating trans folks, which I gotta say I really appreciate & have almost never seen in trans romance. I want more romance like this, where a MC's transness is not a big Thing or a learning experience for their love interest.

I do wish that the trans character had other trans folks in her life, but that didn't seem as odd as it usually does, cuz she's so transient & we don't get to meet anyone in her life. Seems more of a thing where deeper characterization would bring a lot to the story, than a thing where the author is isolating the trans character.

The sex scene worked pretty well for me. It's kind of low heat, not really intended to be erotic. It doesn't fall into common cissexist tropes, which is rare, and I am really grateful for. It feels pretty real.

My one concern about the sex in this book was that it felt a bit odd that sex came so late in the story especially given the situation; it didn't sit quite right for me. I do think that is more of a characterization issue than something like author avoidance. The reason they waited didn't feel contrived, I just wasn't connected with these characters romantic arc enough to get why sex felt like something they wanted to wait for. And unlike other stories centering trans women characters that delay sex til the end, the sex scene actually felt right for the story, realistic and respectful, and not steeped in cissexism, if a little more low heat than is my own taste.

The editing seemed rushed. There was enough word repetition that it distracted me and there were quite a few moments when I wasn't sure who was talking, which was even more distracting.

Trigger Warnings: (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Exposure.

January 25, 2017 – Shelved