LenaLena's Reviews > Spin Out

Spin Out by James Buchanan

Jul 25, 2011

bookshelves: mm

4.5, rounded up.

Started this book with some apprehension, follow ups aren't always as good. You're missing that whole tingle-your-toes first-time-for-everything tension, so often what you get is fabricated misunderstandings or MCs that suddenly get lobotomized and become TSTL. Or at least too stupid to be in a relationship.

The latter bit may seem like it is the case for Joe here, but it is so absolutely in character, that he even had me convinced he was doing the right thing for a long time. The way everything blows up in his face is riveting, the way he tries to deal with it is painful to watch without getting all angsty (tsk, missed opportunity there, James). Even the way the mystery plays out at the end had me drop my jaw for a second. Not something that happens a lot when reading m/m with mystery elements.

In short, Joe is one of my favorite MCs ever in this genre, and I usually don't like the ones with the accents. Very alpha, but so not a bad boy. I love his voice. I love the way he sees the world. (And Kabe).

This story isn't done. We need to see the fight for Joe's job, we need to see Joe's parents come back, we need to take on the State of Utah! (something Joe would never volunteer for). We need to see more of Joe's marble crumble. I hope James is busy writing these stories, else I may have to start up the cyberstalking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spin Out.

message 1: by LenaLena (last edited Aug 22, 2011 06:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

LenaLena I just got an e-mail from James (I won the book, so I've been e-mailing 'Thank Yous' back and forth):

There’s at least two more books for Joe. Book four is about ½ written and I’ve got a lot of ideas swirling in my head for book three.

LenaLena 'Soon' might be a mite optimistic, but who knows.

Yes, more Joe. I want to live in his head.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hopefully the next book will be quicker than this one! It's interesting that 4 is being written before 3...and I'm not sure it's encouraging. :>

LenaLena Now, trust Kate to give us the pessimistic view of the series' progession....

I'll be singing 'LaLaLa' in the middle!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

What pessimism? Hardfall was release Feb 2009. She posted this picture of her "inspiration" of the "soon to be released sequel" in July of 2010:

(which I stole as Dan. Still the best Dan pic ever), and then it finally gets released in July of 2011.

So she isn't exactly speedy with the sequel stuff.