Beth ~ Panda & Boodle's Reviews > Playing the Player

Playing the Player by Amy Andrews

“Any chance we get to love someone, even if it’s only for a little while, isn’t wasted time.”

I love that line. That line made the whole book—and the element that wasn't quite sitting right—work for me. Because love isn't wasted. At least, not for Linc and Em.

This is now the second book I've read from Amy Andrews, and it was just as good as the first one I read… which was the second in the Sydney Smoke Rugby series. Follow me? What I'm saying is this: you don't have to have read all (or any) of the books in this series to appreciate Ms. Andrews’ writing and storytelling. This standalone interconnects with the first two books, but Linc and Em have enough charm and love and chemistry to carry you through to the end.

They also have just enough Aussie-ness to win me over. It can be hard sometimes, with Australian set books, to find the right balance between everyday Australian and stereotypical, crikey-spouting Australian, but Ms. Andrews found it. There were words and references and places that made me ache to visit my home country, but it never went too over the top, and I was so very grateful for that.

I was grateful for a lot of things, actually. The direction taken on the bet storyline. The friendship and camaraderie between the Sydney Smoke players. The easy way Linc and Em’s relationship progressed from antagonistic to something more. Not to mention the heat they generated together…

The only thing that didn't grab me 100% is a little too spoilery for me to share, but simply put: it all worked out in the end. It's not that it didn't make sense, or that it was bad—it wasn’t, I swear—I just didn't love or… relate to it. I don't know. I can't explain it.

But I can explain that the above quote—along with all those things I am grateful for—made Playing the Player a very fun *and* funny, very fresh and very fast read. It also made me anticipate more from these Rugby boys, and Ms. Andrews, in the future.

This was Linc at his most elemental. This was cave man stuff. Potently male. Potently virile.
Hot. As. Fuck.

~ FOUR STARS ~

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing the Player.

January 24, 2017 – Started Reading